face plate, tool holders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariz

Reaction score
I didn't find yet the spirit to restart the interrupted build of my engine (hope to do it tomorrow)

meanwhile, I spent the last weeks upon little works in the shop

I had bought times ago a great backplate (200 mm) for a 160 mm lathe chuck, but I have never used it, because I mounted the chuck on another backplate

so in these days I have made a face plate with it. it is of cast iron, I brought down the diameter to about 180 mm, made the thread for the Boley spindle nose (40 x 3,5 mm) and worked the face of the plate

waiting9.jpg

then I made 4 new tool holders for the very old QCTP of the Boley

waiting1.jpg

these are the 4 new holders, near the 4 old ones, for a total of 8 holders

waiting2.jpg

waiting5.jpg

I think that now, with 8 holders, about 30 collets and 5 chucks this section of the workshop would be ok :) (the tailstock has its appropriate tools too)

waiting8.jpg

today I worked on the levers that block the longitudinal travel of the mill table. I broked them asap when the mill has arrived, because moving the table in traverse travel the factory levers touch the base of the mill if you are not careful and don't move them upward
I had some handle grips laying around in the shop and so today I modified them to be used instead of the original levers. here a pic

waiting10.jpg

finally I wish to show you a nice tool that I bought recently. I have had always some difficulties to locate the centre of a rod, with the caliper that slips everywhere when I try to trace the necessary lines
with this tool the task is a joke

waiting11.jpg

well, that's all folks
I hope to return soon at some serious work: engines! :D

An occasional few days off to work on tooling is good for the soul. I makes it all the more fun when you get back to serious work and have a few new or improved tools to work with.

Very nice work ariz.

Gail in NM

Very nice work---I envy you the quick change toolpost. Its not that I change tools that often. Its just that whenever I do, I have to spend a lot of time frigging with spacers to get my tool to the exact right height. With a quick change toolpost, its just the turn of a screw to get the center height adjusted.---Brian

nice looking work you do, i have you can well tool your shop and learn all those fun lessons that they taught us while serving an apprentiship

humm... something is missing here :D

anyway, I wish to show to you 2 great additions to my shop
they aren't 'home building', I bought them. but I post the pics because they are very useful to me

1. the keyless chuck

util1.jpg

till yesterday I had only my ER32 collect chuck mounted on the mill, and when I had to do many different holes it was a pain (changing the collet for every measure)
but for milling I have discovered today that the collect chuck is invaluable ;D

2. the parallels set

util2.jpg

I was bored to search a part of the exact height in the scratch box, to set up a piece in the vice.
I'm very happy for these new tools. sure almost all of you have them, anyway for someone it could be a good suggestion

Very nice additions to your shop Ariz; I'm a little envious!

You will definitely find them all useful!

Kind regards, Arnold

Back