Face plate clamps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a clamping fixture that used to be sold out of the UK that's pretty nice. It's basically a set of vee-blocks that bolt face-to-face, and has mounting feet to bolt to the plate. I don't remember what it's called. I think it was named after it's maker. I'm sure someone on here knows what it's called. There was a guy over on another "hobby machinist" forum that recently posted pics in their shop made tools thread. I've been recently banned so I can't find it to provide a link. Otherwise vee-blocks that have holes through them can be used with an additional clamp. You can even use an angle block with U-bolts.

I've always wanted one of those and thought about making a pattern and having a few cast, but this one makes it hard to justify bothering with that.

One is the Rike vise: "the lathe you can turn square stock round or drill square stock perfectly concentric. ". See here:
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2304&category=

I have not built or used it but it seems interesting.

Further to the Keats angle plate there is an alternate construction method that uses no castings but 2 pieces of angle iron. Some silver soldering (no welding) is required. See "Making a Keats Type Angle Plate" by Michael Cox in Model Engineers Workshop #183, Nov 2011.

Latest posts

Back