ER-40 Collet Chuck for the Grizzly 10 x 22 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Shortly after getting my Grizzly 10 x 22 lathe 6 years ago I looked for a collet closer for it. There was none to be found. The benefits of using a collet to hold work have been stated here many times so I won’t repeat them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I recently became aware of an ER collet chuck with a MT-4 tapered shank, which is the spindle taper on the Grizzly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This chuck was bundled with collets ranging from 1/8” – 1” in 1/32”. For perspective, industry quality ER-40 collets can cost $30 USD each and I’m getting 23 of them, a collet chuck, a wrench for less than $200 USD. So I knew I was taking a chance. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A 5/8” – 11 thread is used for a drawbar to hold the chuck. I used a piece of allthread I had on hand and made a spindle nose protector using a 1 ¾” – 8 hex nut. I drilled the nut for a tommy bar to assist “popping” the chuck free of the spindle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I couldn’t measure the needle deflection when the spindle was rotated, so it was probably less than a few tenth’s of a thou. This was very encouraging. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I decided to make a spare valve for the IC engine I’m building. The valve face is 0.375” diameter and the valve stem is 0.124” with a 4-40 threaded end with an overall length of about 1.5”. Starting with 3/8” stainless rod, I turned the stem down to 0.110” for a length of 3/8” and threaded that 4-40. Then I turned the stem down to 0.124” in three steps each of 3/8” length. The junctions of the last 3 steps are nearly seamless under magnification. I did not need to use a file or sandpaper on the stem.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My conclusion is favorable. This tool does what I needed to do and is a good choice for those lathes with an MT4 spindle taper. Just be aware that the drawbar will limit your ability to pass long pieces of stock through the spindle.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I purchased the chuck from an eBay vendor. Just search for MT4 and ER collet chuck. The vendor with the Germanic sounding name is the guy. I have no affiliation with him, just a satisfied customer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phil[/FONT]

Phil
Looks good.
Curious about how central the collets are to the chuck. Here's why I'm asking.
Well over a year ago I got a Bison Set-Tru 5C chuck for my Griz 10x22.
I clocked it in when I got it and haven't touched it since. Last night I decided to see if anything had changed. Mounted an Interapid DTI and, amazingly, it was well under a half thou. Then I chucked up my 1/2" precision ground test rod in a Hardinge collet. Same ( almost not measurable) runout. Just for grins, I had an "Import" 1/2" collet and tried that. There was .0015 runout.
Might be interesting to chuck up a piece of drill rod and see what's up.
For much of what we do with our small engines, this level of accuracy is way close enough.
Looks like you got a winner there and for a great price.

Stan,
I've tried 4 of the collets with their appropriate sized drill rod, or ground stainless rods. The 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16" were all under 0.001", and the 3/4" was 0.002". I expected that some collets would be better than others. I imagine if I needed the best accuracy for ones that are not so good I could replace them with a "Centaur" or another of that quality. Since the chuck runout is good, it's all on the collet quality as you pointed out.

Overall though I'm satisfied this tool will be a useful addition.

Cheers,
Phil

I got most of my used Hardinge collets from the dealer who sold me the Bridgeport. since he's it that far away, if I get one that's not good (hasn't happened yet) he'll switch it or let me take a few iof one size home and pick the winner. All around good deal.

Stan,
If you're referring to Cook Tool and Machinery, I get out there myself once or twice a year. I'll be checking out their ER-40 collets. I've gotten good stuff there though nothing on the order of a Bridgeport.

I checked the price of a Centaur ER-40 collet. They run about $75/ea. these days. Ouch!

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back