Epoxy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwells

Reaction score
Will alcohol have any effect on epoxy if I use that to help fasten part of a brass fuel tank? I just want to make sure the alcohol will not break down the joint. thanks

Rick

I typed a long post about thinning epoxy glue with alcohol and then it dawned on me you're talking about the effects of alcohol fuel on cured epoxy in your fuel tank. Not to worry, good epoxy resin after it's completely cured isn't affected by alcohol.

thanks for the epoxy response. I am using it after it's cured. I probably could have been more clear.
Rick

Do a test first. I have been able to soften some epoxy by soaking it in alcohol for a few days. JB Weld did not soften with the alcohol.

Dale

Yes as Dale said do a test to save you some grief. And Not a 15 minute test and keep moving. As it is a solvent and if there is a chance that the fuel will be left in the tank for a couple days. Just put the set up in catch pan in case it leaks. Also make sure you use the type or brand fuel you will be using in it. The additives are some times a stronger solvent then the bulk of the liquid. And will attack it faster.
You many check the package or web site of the brand. As in the fine print, they will generally list what it is affected by. The various formulas can be effected by differing solvents.
I posted a link for a great adhesive site in the links section check it out. ;D

Latest posts

Back