engine making. possibly helpful.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Edc.
the plans are very well made for the hex 2 and go thru each step in the machining process
here is the email that is on his webpage.
[email protected]

I am getting exited to start my build. just waiting till school is done on april 4th.

might need to sort out my sherline mill first :-[

hex 2 will be powering something coooool!

please keep everyone updated with your build.

will see about that one after the hex 2.
still waiting to hear about the tap, since my lathe cant do threading

Speedy: Sherline does make and sell a theading attachment. About $ 120.00 us I know may be a bit pricey for you but figured I would throw out the info.
Tin

actually Tin I didnt know.
I will investigate.

James has the taps in but it will cost me above 50$ to get one to me.
this threading attachment sounds good as I can thread anything. but then I need to get a 4 jaw chuck.

right now I am thinking of making everything then going to a machine shop and see if they can help me out with threading it on a lathe.

Instruction manual

http://www.sherline.com/3100inst.htm
photo
sherline-3100.jpg

Tin

ahhh Tin.
what has slipped my mind is that I have a taig lathe and sherline mill.
woooops

Might be a little off course with this, but during my model boating life, I made a water cooled 049 with a fully machined brass cooling jacket with the cylinder definned and force fitted in, standard glo plug fitted into custom made head, brass flywheel and a proper back mounted R/C carb to replace the reed type valve. Even though it ran very well, I never did get it into a hull, and gave it away many years ago. I still have a few of the proto bits about somewhere. Ballraced crankcase was fairly easy to do, and very worthwhile.

One of my dreams was to do the same with the 010, but it seems that the rear mounted carburettor kits for these tiny engines are no longer available. It would have made a great R/C I/C boat of about 8 to 9" long, especially with the latest micro R/C units.

Bogs

Bogstandard said:
Might be a little off course with this, but during my model boating life, I made a water cooled 049 with a fully machined brass cooling jacket with the cylinder definned and force fitted in, standard glo plug fitted into custom made head, brass flywheel and a proper back mounted R/C carb to replace the reed type valve. Even though it ran very well, I never did get it into a hull, and gave it away many years ago. I still have a few of the proto bits about somewhere. Ballraced crankcase was fairly easy to do, and very worthwhile.

One of my dreams was to do the same with the 010, but it seems that the rear mounted carburettor kits for these tiny engines are no longer available. It would have made a great R/C I/C boat of about 8 to 9" long, especially with the latest micro R/C units.

Bogs

hi Bogs no no, fits in well here :)
some of that seems like what I would like to do to my saito 80 gas conversion engine.

it sounds like you made major improvements! do you have pictures?
I wouldnt mind trying out new things. :)

Speedy,

This was done many years ago (at least 25), and taking pictures as we do nowadays would have cost loads of pennies, films, negatives, printing etc. So only very special articles got the piccy treatment.

If I can find my little box of leftover bits, I will take some digital shots of what we got up to.

Bogs

hi Bogs.
that would be great to see what you have in your leftover bits :)

Michael gave me a gentle nudge stickpoke stickpoke this morning, to remind me about finding a little engine that I used to work on many years ago.
You usually have to remind me to do things as my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

This is about the only complete 061 (1cc) engine that I still have that started to have mods done to it. The Cox series were not as robust as this one as they were usually a different design, using a rear induction reed valve. This one has front induction with an R/C carb.
Basically, to get it ready for use in a model boat, all that was required was to fit a front bearing to take the weight of the flywheel and to water cool the combustion chamber because it would not have air flowing thru the fins if buried down in a hull.

So this is the engine stripped down to it's component parts, except for the silencer, as that just fit as normal with no mods.

MiniWater01.jpg

The first thing that was done was to modify the nose of the crankcase to take the large slimline ball race, making sure you still left most of the bronze bearing that was already in there. This called for VERY accurate machining to make sure that they were both in line, otherwise the crank would just jam up.

MiniWater02.jpg

The water jacket was made by silver soldering together two parts, the outer had fins on to aid with cooling, and the inner section had a channel cut into it that allowed water to flow around inside, from the inlet stack to the outlet stack. You didn't need to have too much water thru it, otherwise you could cool the engine too much and it wouldn't get up to working temp, and thus max power. A little clamp on the inlet pipe allowed you to fine tune the flow. The water was supplied by a little bent tube facing into the flow of water from the propeller under the back of the hull.

MiniWater03.jpg

A side view. The hole in the centre was bored to be a wringing fit onto the previously machined cylinder, which had the fins machined down to a very good parallel fit.

MiniWater04.jpg

This is how it fitted, clamped down by the cylinder head. No water actually came into contact with the original parts of the engine, the heat was conducted away purely by the surface areas in contact with each other.

MiniWater05.jpg

As I stated before, I would have loved to have been able to do this mod on an 010 sized engine, but it seems that no one does the micro R/C carb conversions any more, they are just a start and scream engine.

Bogs

no worries on the nudge :)
BOGSS!!!
thank you soo much!
very useful to me, I would have never even thought of a bearing on the nose. and your system of cooling!

I am wondering how you soldered the cooling jacket? what is the silver ish looking ring around the center of the brass jacket?

also, coxcanada sells a carburetor for the engine but I think its a .74.
lots of new companies have stepped into making these small engines but they are very different design with lots of cooling fins.

I think I will try your mods and fool around on a engine to make a boat :)

Latest posts

Back