• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

EMCO Compact 6 CNC lathe for sale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldRon

Reaction score
FOR SALE:

Fully functional EMCO Compact 6P CNC lathe with:

TM02 control

EMCO voltage step up transformer now wired for plug and play connection.

Original high quality indexable carbide cutting tools.
1) turning/facing (triangle)
2) profiling (diamond)
3) slot/cut off
4) thread cutting

3 Complete sets of class room manuals.

12 data tapes including the MSD parameters.

Custom software that I wrote for desktop PC editing and compiling the MSD parameters.

The machine was purchased from the college in Odessa Texas and it appears to have only cut tool path proving wax.

The machine is currently under power in my shop. However I have not turned any parts on the lathe. The price is $5500.00 and the machine must be picked up at my shop. You examine the machine and if it meets your expectations then you hand me cash money and I will load the machine on your truck or trailer.

Ron Becker
316 655 5686

And your shop is Where???
helpful info if this is pickup only

Tin

TF,

My shop is in Wichita, KS

OldRon

Can you post some pictures? Do you have tape drive for editing tapes?

Can you post some pictures? Do you have tape drive for editing tapes?
It uses stepper motors to drive everything. If you were to purchase this machine the first thing you should do is remove all the hopelessly outdated electronics and replace them with modern stepper motor drives and a computer so you can use the latest software.

What size steppers are on it? That could significantly increase the cost of this guy.

jwcnc1911,

Yes the machine has a fully functional tape drive. You can also use serial link for data transfer. Serial is the most common method. Most of these lathes fell into the hands of people that lacked the knowledge or key components required to get them up and running so they replaced the EMCO control with Mach 3 or or one of the other software based CNC controllers. The EMCO TM02 control is a very capable lathe control that has several canned cycles.

Here's a photobucket link:http://s843.photobucket.com/user/CNC4Cheap/library/EMCO Compact 6P CNC

As for n4zou's comment regarding the electronics: WTF does he know? You might want to ask one of the forum members that own and operate one of these EMCO CNC lathes.

Doesn't make any sense to update the drives with obsolete technology. Stepper motors are in any form the day before yesterday's technology. I had planned on replacing the stepper motors and drives with Yaskawa digital servo drive systems. Not because there's anything wrong with the stepper motors or drives, I just prefer closed loop positioning. Shortly after purchasing the lathe my health became my project and it continues to be my project. Therefore I have given up on ever being able to use the lathe.

If you want to play games on the control then this is not the machine for you. If you want a machine that is ready to turn your project as opposed to being your project then this lathe is ready to turn parts.

As for the size of the stepper motors: I do not know what size the stepper motors are.

OldRon

As for n4zou's comment regarding the electronics: WTF does he know?
OldRon

Rof}
I thought the same when I saw his reply.

Mate, If I wasn't on the other side of the planet, this puppy would be sold already. :mad:

Looks like a very nice machine. I wish I knew more about them and cnc in general. Is there any kind of form or site that would give me more insite into how to operate this lathe?

My apologies OldRon, had i noticed that post was by some one other than you, the seller, I would have disregarded it. I gotta quit looking at HMEM on my phone.

Further more, these are great machines. I've personally seen them take years of abuse at trade schools and from owners, as pointed out, have no clue what the heck these even do. Emco makes a great machine and steppers are in now way "outdated." It all depends on the purpose. We run steppers on 2 - 3 million dollar line boring and cylinder honing machines that literally hold 3 to 5 microns with mindblowing repeatability. That's right MICRONS, from steppers. What with microstepping and all... well i won't beat a dead horse.

The reason why i bit in the first place was "Emco" and "sale" in the same sentence is going to catch any one who knows it really is. Name another machine tool manufacturer in this size of machine in business this long. Great machines especially for the dollar.

Again, apologies for not noticing some one other than the seller said that about replacing the control. Next time i'll zoom my phone out to verify who posted something. After all if the seller said that about controls it matters, not so much when some one unrelated to the item says it.

I'm interested in this lathe by the way, please pm me your phone number.

It uses stepper motors to drive everything. If you were to purchase this machine the first thing you should do is remove all the hopelessly outdated electronics and replace them with modern stepper motor drives and a computer so you can use the latest software.

Sorry but "WRONG"
The tool turret is driven by a Maxon DC motor through PWM signal.

Yep,
I can vouch for the Emco machine, i have a 120P.

Does not matter what size steppers are an the machine, All I can say they have plenty of power, the spindle is a massive overkill (extremely powerful for the size of the machine) will machine to very tight tolerances if in reasonable condition and also ultra rigid.

This machine you have Ron looks like it has had very little use and is in great condition.

I will also add Emco were definitely 10-15 years ahead of their time with the electrics on this model.

I too would be interested if I was local.
I have lots of parts for the controller and also manuals if a forum member buys the machine, if or when needed.

Someone needs to buy this machine, they are hard to get in good order like this one.
The performance will not disappoint.

Looks like a very nice machine. I wish I knew more about them and cnc in general. Is there any kind of form or site that would give me more insite into how to operate this lathe?

Oh and by the way there is a lot of info and support out there.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/emco_turn_120/

Baz.

Last edited:
jwcnc1911,

As for n4zou's comment regarding the electronics: WTF does he know? You might want to ask one of the forum members that own and operate one of these EMCO CNC lathes.

OldRon

I worked for Jim Cooper for several years. He owned Southern Machinery and Supply until he passed away. His daughter Camellia Cooper ran the business for a few years before she figured out it was too much for her. She liquidated the business and retired. I have no idea why the link provided above is still active.

Mr. Cooper built up the business from scratch and I was employed with him for a few years. He became an EMCO distributor for the South East USA selling and provided on site service for EMCO branded machines he sold. I was a Technician on one of his on-site maintenance and service teams.

If this EMCO machine did come out of a school and has only cut machinable wax which is common practice with CNC machinery used in schools you could consider it an unused machine except for it's electronics. Electronics deteriorate over time and this is an 'old' machine in that it still has it's original electronics. Even if all the electronics are operating properly it still has a battery that maintains the operating software on the main board. These batteries die and the machine looses it's operating system software. If this has happened you would need to replace the battery and re-load the OEM operating system software. I seriously doubt this is possible after all these years as all distributor service teams discarded old electronics and software so it could not be salvaged and reused. I'm surprised to see one of these machines with it's original Electronic control system as these machines were regularly upgraded over the years as technology advanced. This included machines used in schools. Mr. Cooper would upgrade CNC machines in schools at or below his cost (if it was a machine he sold to the school). This machine has been in storage or sat unused and never upgraded.

I entered military service to further my education. I became a Gas Turbine systems Tech and was on active service with the US Navy for 6 years. I then worked with the US Army helping to develop the Abrams M1 Abrams main battle tank and then with M1 Abrams service and rebuild programs until I retired in 2004.

Thanks for validating your statement - it's good to know where information and opinions are developed. Nice resume by the way. It had to be fun working on tanks.

jwcnc1911,

I sent you my phone number in a PM.

OldRon

n4zou,

It's people like you that needlessly cobbled these machines up with hobby CNC controllers. You know just enough to convince yourself that you are an expert.

Electronics deteriorate over time and this is an 'old' machine in that it still has it's original electronics.

The human heart deteriorates over time. Do you suggest that it should be cut out and replaced while it's functioning flawlessly? Electronics are not like a carton of eggs or a gallon of milk. That's why there's no expiration date on them.

Even if all the electronics are operating properly it still has a battery that maintains the operating software on the main board. These batteries die and the machine looses it's operating system software.

Yes the machine looses the parameters after being without power for several days. So what? They did it from day 1. No big deal if you have the parameters, which I do.

I seriously doubt this is possible after all these years as all distributor service teams discarded old electronics and software so it could not be salvaged and reused.

If you don't know for a fact then why comment?

I'm acquainted with several people that own either a Compact 6/P or EMCOTURN 120/P. The ones that acquired their machine in running condition are quite satisfied with both the software and electronics. Others acquired their machine in non operating condition or it was missing key components. By necessity they chose to use non EMCO components to get the machine up and running. I give those people two thumbs up for saving the machine.

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

OldRon

Latest posts

Back