Elmer's Tiny - My 2nd Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90LX_Notch

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I finished up my second engine today- Elmer's Tiny. This was a great experience for me. I had to grind form tools to make the radii on the column. I used my drive plate to machine the flat on the column. (I still don't have a four jaw chuck.) The plate attached to the drive plate is a 1.25 lb weight that I faced both sides and bolted on. It's a cheap way to provide a large diameter "fixture' plate. You can buy them cheap at sporting good stores. I cut the threads for the nipple on the lathe. I made everything on the little engine except the set screw and the spring. The pivot, crank shaft and crank pin were all turned .062/.065. That was an experience, since I don't have a follow rest. But, I learned how to do it. I love this hobby and am so grateful to HMEM and it's members. Thank you.

Video-
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDTGgqcHD0[/ame]

DSC02244.JPG

DSC02243.JPG

079.JPG

Notch:

That turned out great! I can see you smiling from here..... as well you should be.

Cheers, Joe

Thanks Joe.

You are right. I am smiling ;D. Now it's time for bed and dreaming of my next project.

Bob

Looks great. I think Tiny was the 2nd I made as well. It's great to drop in a pocket to bring out when people least suspect..

90LX_Notch,

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

Very nice engine! Very, very nice considering it's only your second engine!

Dennis

That looks great Bob! well done, I have one half made, you've just given me some encouragement to finish it!, yours really whizzes around!

Giles

Very impressive Mr. Notch, or may we just call you 90XL?

Now cut the air back and see 'ow slow you can get 'er to run! ;)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I never could have done it without this site.

Tel, you are right I need to cut the air back but first I have to find a way to regulate it. I am currently using a portable tire compressor hooked up to my battery charger.

Because tel asked for it:

I was thinking how to do this and then it dawned on me.... My leak down tester should do the trick and it did.

Tiny ran down to 2 psi before the compressor side line popped off of the tire chuck.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPRFIamayQ[/ame]

Note to self - Straighten-up the basement. It looks bad on video!

Link fixed

SWEET !!!! :bow:

That engine is very high on my list to build on my Sherline's :D

cut the air back but first I have to find a way to regulate it.

A clothespin, locking hemostats, pliers to crimp the plastic air hose works very well to limit the air flow !!

Mike

Yea, it's a cool little engine. I had it with me at the hardware store when I bought the spring and the guy there couldn't believe it. He thought it was the coolest thing. However, he couldn't understand that I was not going to use it for something. He thought it should go in a little car or something.

I never thought of using a leak down tester as a regulator.

Better check the valves.
That leak down tester is showing 100% blow by! ;)

Rick

Rick,

Actually, I am very surprised that it only has a 2 psi drop. The way this tester works is the 1st gauge is set to 100psi and the 2nd gauge shows the % drop. Example- If the 1st gauge reads 100psi and the second one reads 95psi there is a 5% loss.

Bob

Now I'm going to have to play with leak down tester too.
:D

Rick

Bob,

That is a great effort. I haven't built an engine that small yet! What size is the bore / stroke?

What's really impressive is how well it runs right down to that psi, incredible for an engine of that size.

Well done. :bow:

Nick

Latest posts

Back