Elmer's Geared Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering where a good place to buy the gears is, I know the plans have a company listed, but I would like a few other options.

Thanks,
Wesley

Wesley,

I purchased the gears from a local distributor in Rhode Island (Motion Industries) because they are an authorized distributor for "Boston Gear" which is the gear manufacturer. You may want to check McMaster Carr, MSC Industrial, or Grainger for those gears as well.

Depending where you are located you may be able to find a Boston Gear distibutor in your area. If you go to the Boston Gear website there should be a list of distributors that you can search for using your zip code.

If I have time later tonight I will try to cross reference the Boston Gear part number with someone elses.

Chris

Hi Wesley, you might try these people. I have purchased from them in the past with very good luck.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/
gbritnell

Wow. Completely missed this thread.
Very nice project Chris. Nice work.
I'm very interested in seeing it run. Should be cool.

gbritnell said:
Hi Wesley, you might try these people. I have purchased from them in the past with very good luck.
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/
gbritnell

I also have purchased a gear from this company in the past...completely forgot about them. It was a micro-gear for a remote control helicopter and they had it in stock.

zeeprogrammer said:
Wow. Completely missed this thread.
Very nice project Chris. Nice work.
I'm very interested in seeing it run. Should be cool.

Thank you Zee! As soon as I have a video it will get posted....

The final pictures...a video will follow hopefully this weekend. Thank you to everyone who found this engine interesting...it was the most challenging one for me yet. After working on it for 6-months or so I brought it in to show my wife.....well..........I'm pretty sure her reaction was like every other home engine machinists wife's reaction so I won't go in to details. She pretended to look interested which was good enough for me!

internalandexternalspurgears.jpg

partingoffpiston.jpg

partingoffcrankshaft.jpg

smallgearwithpostpressedinforturnin.jpg

(This was how I fixtured the small gear to face the hub off)

valveplatefinished.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Well...that's it. Designed by Elmer Verburg, modeled in Solid Works, machined and assembled by me.

Hope everyone liked it!

Chris,
That is one cool engine! Nice job. Can't wait to see it run.
Dennis

Note to self: learn more about cutting gears.

Here is the video of my engine running! I failed to tighten down the cylinder which is why it rocks slightly...hopefully everyone will be looking at the straight line to rotational motion instead. If those gears are off just a little it won't turn over.

Enjoy...

That is COOL! Really cool!
Thank you for posting that.
Really neat.
Can you tell I'm at a loss for words?
Nice example of linear to rotary motion.

Very nicely done Chris. I have seen that type of connection on several different engines over the years. I think there was a vertical at the NAMES show a few years back. What do you have planned for your next project?
gbritnell

Thanks again guys...

My next project is a tough one. I purchased plans last summer to build Henry Fords first internal combustion engine but I'm not sure if I want to attempt something like that just yet.

I really should build a small vertical boiler so I can run my existing engines using steam power!

Once I get the shop cleaned up and my machines oiled I should have a better idea.

Chris,

Wow, love the action. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Additional gear information for anyone attempting to build this engine.

The original plans call out for an Internal Gear, Boston Gear P/N: Y4872 but it appears that they change the part number to read "YI4872" to help designate that it is an "internal" gear (I guess). The Orbiting gear remains Y4836 for Boston Gear. McMaster Carr, MSC, and Martin gears did not have a cross reference part that I could find...I will keep searching for one though.

Here is the gear information.

Boston Gear P/N: YI4872-Brass
- 72 Teeth
- 48 D.P.
- 20-degree pressure angle
- 1/8" face width

Boston Gear P/N: Y4836- 36 Teeth
- 48 D.P.
- 1/8" face width

vascon2196 said:
Additional gear information for anyone attempting to build this engine.

The original plans call out for an Internal Gear, Boston Gear P/N: Y4872 but it appears that they change the part number to read "YI4872" to help designate that it is an "internal" gear (I guess). The Orbiting gear remains Y4836 for Boston Gear. McMaster Carr, MSC, and Martin gears did not have a cross reference part that I could find...I will keep searching for one though.

Here is the gear information.

Boston Gear P/N: YI4872-Brass
- 72 Teeth
- 48 D.P.
- 1/8" face width

Boston Gear P/N: Y4836- 36 Teeth
- 48 D.P.
- 1/8" face width

Chris,
Do you recall how much the gears cost?
I have put this engine on my bucket list.

SAM

Surly interesting to watch it run! Thanks for the video.

Dean

Latest posts

Back