Elmer's Geared Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
O.K. everyone....this is my 5th engine and for me it was definately the most difficult. I chose the engine (not because I was drunk) but because I had never seen one. I wanted to build something unique. Being a draftsman by trade and only CAD as a background I may take a little longer than the everage guy to make these parts but I get by. Some of you "old school" machinists may cringe when you see how these parts are made but try and remember the only machinin experience I have are my 5-small steam engines.

The first few pictures I am posting are of the flywheel. I documented (everything) so there will be plenty of pictures and videos to follow. Yes, the engine ran......but not on the first try, or the second, or the third, or when I almost threw it across my shop, but after two weeks of re-work and carefull thinking (about what I did wrong) I had it running. What a learning experience this engine was.

Hope you like the build...here goes.

facingtheflywheel.jpg

flywheelturnedandfacedandgroovestar.jpg

flywheelreadyfordrilling.jpg

cdrilltheflywheel.jpg

drillingtheflywheel.jpg

finishedholeandchamfer.jpg

facingbackofflywheelin4-jaw.jpg

flywheelcomplete.jpg

Hi Chris. Your making real good progress! Going all out too, with the use of ball bearings. Your getting a real nice finish with the lathe work.

What kind of lathe do you have?

-MB

Hi Chris
Looks like your doing a really good job so far,looking forward to seeing the
rest of the build.
Ken

Have you priced out the internal gear yet? th_confused0052 They are a bit salty in price. I started the engine about 1 year ago and stopped when I found out the price.

Dave

Metal Butcher said:
Hi Chris. Your making real good progress! Going all out too, with the use of ball bearings. Your getting a real nice finish with the lathe work.

What kind of lathe do you have?

-MB

Thank you MB, I did end up finishing the engine about a month ago but have had no time to post anything on the forum. It took about 6 months on and off to finish this engine plus another 2 weeks to get it running properly. I'm kind of burnt out at the moment.

Thanks again for your comments. My lathe is a Grizzly G0516 combo. It's not the greatest machine in the world but for what it cost and what it came with...it was worth it.

kendo said:
Hi Chris
Looks like your doing a really good job so far,looking forward to seeing the
rest of the build.
Ken

Thanks Ken!

dreeves said:
Have you priced out the internal gear yet? th_confused0052 They are a bit salty in price. I started the engine about 1 year ago and stopped when I found out the price.

Dave

Dave,

I bought the gears sometime last summer and yes they were expensive. I was making extra cash at the time and it wasn't an issue. However, now that I'm laid off I couldn't justify spending that kind of money. I ran into an "old timer" who made the gears himself and suggested I do the same. Having only 2 years of self taught machining experience under my belt, I decided to buy the gears.

Chris

Here are pictures of the cylinder being made.

thecylindersquaredupandreadyfor4-ja.jpg

centeringthecylinderin4-jawcsinkwas.jpg

cylinderendmillcutforangledhole.jpg

cylindersetupfordrillingangledholes.jpg

cylinderwith094diameterendmillslot.jpg

cylinderwithangledholesdrilledthrou.jpg

cylinderwithmountingholesand57drill.jpg

cylinderwithsteamchestmountingholes.jpg

cylinderreadyformountingvalveholes.jpg

ready for mounting holes and valve holes

finishedcylinder.jpg

Finished cylinder

Chris,

I see you have a vernier protractor. :bow:

I have been after one for a while but the only one I could find was a Starret at some $US450. Just a tad over my budget. ::) ::)

Would you mind a bit of detail about yours. ??? or if your not using it.............................. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Chris,

I have been after one for a while but the only one I could find was a Starret at some $US450. Just a tad over my budget. ::) ::)

Would you mind a bit of detail about yours. ??? or if your not using it.............................. ;)

Best Regards
Bob

I've seen one like that Here its a lot less than $450, more like $65ish

Tim

Tim & John,

Thank you for the information, my bank manager thanks you too. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Chris,

Best Regards
Bob

I wish it were mine! I borrowed it from a machinist at my old job who's tool collection is worth a small fortune. Starret would be nice to have but I have the same budget issues and would have to settle for something less. Good luck.

Chris

BigBore said:
Hi Chris. Love the photos. Easy to follow. Thm: Where is this engine documented? I'd like to do a bit of reading about it. I'll be following, for sure. Thanks for posting!

Ed

Thanks Ed!

I found the engine on the "Jhon-Tom" website under "steam engine plans". This engine came out of Elmer Verburg's famous book and the website scanned all of the plans and posted them for downloading.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

This is the link to the website and to the page with the "geared steam engine".

Hope this helps.

Chris

Yep, helps a bunch! Now I can really follow this closely and watch for your modifications. It nice when you guys show the results first so I can understand and appreciate the journey. Or maybe it's because I'm anal retentive? ???

Ed

I believe that is whats called an "epicyclic" gear train. When James Watt built his first successfull beam engine, he used that method because someone else had patented the conventional crankshaft, and he didn't want to get into a patent fight.---Brian

Here are some more pictures...

finishedeccentricstrap.jpg

Eccentric Strap

finishedinboardoutboardheads.jpg

Inboard and Outboard Heads

finishedpistonrod.jpg

Piston rod assembly

crankpins.jpg

crankpinscomplete.jpg

Back