Elmer's Fancy II

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner49r

Reaction score
I am in the process of building Elmer's Fancy II. Looking at the plans it appears that the piston skirt is facing the head. If this is intentional, is there some method to this madness?

Alan

100_0601c.jpg

Since I can not delete my own post... I'll take "Bueprint Reading" for $200 Alex.

OK. Despite the drawing, the top of the piston needs to be threaded through and installed a conventional manner and it is still too long. Either the rod needs to be shortened, bore out the bottom of the piston further, or cut the piston top. I'll decide once I've finished the crank.

I thank me for my support. ;D

Hi Alan

If you mean that the piston appears "upside-down" in the section view below:
elmer2.JPG

I'd say it's because the engine does not use a cross-head, so Elmer lengthened the piston to basically make it work like a cross-head to relieve lateral stresses while running.
The deep counter-bore on the bottom of the piston is just to lighten it up to balance better.

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold,
I had triple checked my work and it all comes to spec. The cross section you show clears it up. The plans I have are in .tiff format and are poor at best. I now see connecting rod needs to be flush with the top of the piston.

Regards, Alan

Back