Ellery Single Cylinder 50cc Design & Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbooth

Reaction score
Hi all,
So this is going to be my design for a single cylinder 50cc petrol engine. I am going to use a lot of the same geometry as my Vtwin100, I'm sure you'll see the similarities.
I have been using the same software to draw it up, Autodesk Inventor.
Hopefully look to make some improvements along the way
  1. Change the inlet/exhaust locations to the side allowing a more uniform bolt pattern.
  2. Increase the diameter of the cam meaning smaller tappets. Can do this as not trying to squeeze between the 90deg V
  3. Change taper on cylinder fins to give better access to bolts
  4. Add an option for an electric starter motor

Capture.JPG

Got a new order of material (M-Metals, no connection, just think they provide a great service), so managed to make a start last weekend.

First up was the cylinder head. The main thing changed here is that I reduced the wall thickness from 2.5mm to 2mm. With the steel liner, just don't think it needs any more.
Capture1.JPG

On the lathe to face and turn to diameter, centre drilled for a live centre to hold it firm for cutting the fins.

DSC_1409.jpg
DSC_1410.jpg

Then bored to diameter and parted off, reversed and the base faced to the right length

DSC_1411.jpg
DSC_1412.jpg

On to the mill to mill the octagon and drill bolt pattern.

DSC_1435.jpg
DSC_1436.jpg

Happy to get it started.

Last edited:
This weekend I made a start on the main crankcase and used the portable bandsaw then flycutter to trim to size.
I wanted to have a play with engraving and anodising so left all sides a little oversize, then used my MPCNC (mostly printed CNC) for the engraving.
DSC_1446.jpg

DSC_1452.jpg

Anodised just the protruding side section, then trimmed all sides to final dimension leaving just the anodizing to the engraving.

DSC_1453.jpg

DSC_1454.jpg

Sorry, no photos in action on the lathe, but carried out 2 steps, firstly the bore through for crankshaft with centre counterbore for piston clearance. Then the top bore for piston sleeve and counterbore for o-ring seal.

DSC_1457.jpg

This weekend I made a start on the main crankcase and used the portable bandsaw then flycutter to trim to size.
I wanted to have a play with engraving and anodising so left all sides a little oversize, then used my MPCNC (mostly printed CNC) for the engraving.
View attachment 123650
View attachment 123651

Anodised just the protruding side section, then trimmed all sides to final dimension leaving just the anodizing to the engraving.

View attachment 123652

View attachment 123653

Sorry, no photos in action on the lathe, but carried out 2 steps, firstly the bore through for crankshaft with centre counterbore for piston clearance. Then the top bore for piston sleeve and counterbore for o-ring seal.

View attachment 123654
Where can I learn the program you are using? Looks freaking awesome. I’m a machinist as well, alumni of Thaddeus Stevens of Tech in PA!!

Where can I learn the program you are using? Looks freaking awesome. I’m a machinist as well, alumni of Thaddeus Stevens of Tech in PA!!
Hi, There is a huge amount of training and help for Autodesk inventor on the internet and youtube

A bit of work on the crankcase. On the mill to drill and tap the rear bolt pattern that will take the rear crankcase cover, and to drill and counter bore the hole that will house the camshaft.

DSC_1463.jpg

And the front cam cover. This will house one of the roller bearings to locate the front of the cam shaft, and fix to the front of the crankcase.

DSC_1479.jpg

On the mill to square the edges and drill bolt pattern.

DSC_1483.jpg

DSC_1484.jpg

Completely unnecessary but I do like to tinker so I anodised the part and used the CNC engraver to engrave its name "S-50". Single cylinder 50cc!!

DSC_1485.jpg

DSC_1487.jpg

DSC_1486.jpg

A bit more work on the top of the crankcase. Slot for cam followers milled and M3 holes drilled and tapped.
DSC_1502.jpg

Did you get your twin running?
yes, should be a link to the video on the other thread. I've had it stripped down as I wanted to check everything before I ran it too hard. Just re-assembling it again now.

Back