Earthquake

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
Mother nature gave me and other local residents a swift wake-up call saturday last.
At 4.33 am I was woken by a severe earthquake,unlike any I had experienced before.It took a little while to sink in what was happening,then i got the wife and myself out of bed and into the doorway.The main quake lasted just over a minute,though it felt like hours.
We lost power,but this was restored to us by 3pm saturday.We were very lucky,in that we only lost a few ornaments to the quake.
Some people had their house destroyed to such an extent,they will have to have it pulled down,and rebuilt from the ground up.Some districts are still without water,and all residents have been warned to boil all drinking water for 3 minutes.
What amazes me even more though,No one was actually killed in this event.I think the time of day had a lot to do with that.
If more people had been at work in the inner city,deaths would have been a certainty,as much of the business district suffered badly,being mostly old buildings without earthquake protection.
If nothing else,this has made me look at life in a different light.I realize now that nothing is as precious as life itself.I think of all the minor inconveniences that used to annoy me,and hope to change my thinking,so that these things will no longer bother me.
Now some 48 hours later,we're still getting aftershocks up to 4 on the scale,but people are starting to come to terms with it.There are hundreds of small tremors which are simply ignored.
My thoughts go out to the people who've lost their home,and hope the trauma isn't permanent.
The only other quake of such magnitude in modern times was in the north island city of Napier,in 1931,which killed 256 people.
I must also comment on the great job done by the emergency services.They managed to restore some semblance of order within hours,and are continuing their selfless work without let up.A huge pat on the back is a but small token of appreciation of their work.

Hans,

Glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

I have been through a bad quake in 1989 when I lived near San Francisco and a couple of hurricanes since I moved to Lower Alabama.

SAM

Very glad you're okay.
I'd heard about the quake this morning and was wondering if anyone on the forum was affected.

Hans glad to here you and yours have fared well.
Tin

Wow... I spent several months living and going to school in Christchurch back in the 80's. Beautiful place as I remember. Glad to hear nobody's hurt.

Glad to hear that no one died. Will pray that some sense of normalcy will return to you soon.

Ron

bentprop said:
If nothing else,this has made me look at life in a different light.I realize now that nothing is as precious as life itself.I think of all the minor inconveniences that used to annoy me,and hope to change my thinking,so that these things will no longer bother me.

Hans, for a lot of people, something like an earthquake hastens the timing of such an awakening. For others, age brings on this realization, as is the case with myself. For some people, it never comes, to their detriment. Glad you're OK.

-dennis

Im amazed that all survived the damn thing...its not as if Christchurch is a back creek village of 6. Naturally it made lots of news over this side of the ditch, best wishes to all and hoping that you all get back on track soon.

Toured extensively through NZ, too nice a place to shake up like that.....

Rob T

Yep, it made big time news over here - glad to hear you came through with minimal damage Hans, and that no lives were lost. Buildings and stuff can be replaced, after all.

Thanks for the support,guys.Things are slowly returning to normal.The city centre is still off limits,due to the danger of further collapse of already weakened structures.A lot of that area consists of 19th century buildings,and they have come off worst.
I had to drop my daughters partner off at work,as there are no buses running yet,and was confronted with several detours.I managed to get him within walking distance,but even in that area were several collapsed buildings.
A time frame of 12 to 18 months is forecast till the city returns to more or less normal.
There was a plane crash,with 9 fatalities on the west coast,but this was unrelated to the quake.this in itself is one of the worst air crashes in about 15 years.
Anyway,life goes on,and we must look ahead.The biggest concern is drinking water,as it is feared the burst sewer mains may have contaminated the artesian wells that supply the city's water.I never drink water ,unless it's boiled and tastes like coffee ;D
Thank you all for your thoughts and support.Regards.Hans.

Latest posts

Back