dumb question about radials

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcw

Reaction score
hi all. might be dumb question but why is it most radials have a odd number of cilinders?
nothing real important, question just popped my head ;D
Pascal

I have never studied this question but I assume it has to do with the cam ring only able to operate every other cylinder properly to get a 4 cycle action.
gbritnell

4 cycle radials with the cylinders running on one crankthrow have to have an odd number of cylinders. The firing order for a 9 cylinder engine would be 1-3-5-7-9-2-4-6-8. so you can see that after one cycle the engine fires correctly on number one cylinder. If the engine was even number of cylinders after one cycle it would try and fire number 2 cylinder which would be on its exhaust stroke. Hope that helps. John

Hi pcw,

I wouldn't say that this is a "dumb question" at all, as the replies to these sort of questions help some of us find out, sometimes, obscure answers to things that intrigue us.
Anything to help fellow machinists, pro and amateurs.
Keep them coming!

Kind regards,

Ron.

The cam ring on a radial runs reverse the rotation of the engine, and 1/8 speed, not 1/2 as a normal 4 cycle. That on a nine cylinder engine, maybe not on 3,5,7

stevehuckss396 said:
There are no dumb questions!!

hehe i know, my granddad always said: a dumb question is the one you dont ask.
this isnt realy important question, just something that caught my eye and mind for some reason.
Pascal

Back