dual fywheel topsy turvy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldiron64

Reaction score
Here is my first post since I can no longer deal with the stigma associated with being a Lurker. I started this just before xmas. I have seen a couple of these run and I think the second flywheel will let me run it a little slower than those. I also finned the head just because.

1001144vl7.jpg

Welcome to HMEM. Nice build so far. I always liked the Topsy Turvey. I look forward to seeing it run.

Chuck

Looks like you're making good progress on it so far!

The dual flywheels may make it run a little slower, mine kicks along at a fairly good speed; but when I built mine (probably 15 or so years ago) it was a group project with about six engines underway. The fellow who machined the blocks got a little absent-minded and left about 13/16" (IIRC) on the length. When I got my block, and realized it was too long, I just re-drilled the holes that were off and used it, rather than start over. This required making the connecting rod longer also. It runs, but not as well as it should.

I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

Kevin

Oldiron64,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Looks good from here.

Best Regards
Bob

any progress on this one im intrigued

and WELCOME :bow: ( for got to add this)

Welcome to HMEM oldiron64

Rick

G'day and Welcome oldiron64

we aint against lurkers but do prefer to see what folks are up to

just like your beuty!

now aint it better that you got that offa ya chest and shared??

i certainly think so and wish to thank you for coming out with a very nice looking build

cheers and good luck to you

jack

Thanks for your comments. I actually have been working on it but have been lazy about posting, so here is some more progress. I also realize I put this in the wrong forum so maybe a moderator could move it to the work in progress one.

turvy11tk0.jpg

turvy9yy1.jpg

turvy8mo5.jpg

It has compression :eek: Just 3 govenor parts ignition and a fuel line to go. I believe it has a chance of running next weekend.

turvy24yy1.jpg

Harold

It's a real beauty!!

Looking forward to the sights and sounds :)

That engine is looking very nice.
I made one myself. Because I am addicted to metric, I have redrawn the plans taking 32 mm to the inch. Makes it some 25% larger. I will send a picture asap. Next week is a Holiday for me so I think I will manage.
I will feel myself not a part time lurker anymore.
Nemt

As prommissed: Topsy Turvy, all aluminium and brass flywheel.

Nemt

DSC00730.JPG

That was quick, Looks great! you didn't like the stepped base?

A friend of mine built one of these years ago. He had it at a show and it stopped running. I noticed it had stopped, so I went over and flipped the flywheels to get it started. It started nicely, and threw a line of oil off the crank right straight down my nice new shirt- as nice and straight a line as you could draw, right from my shoulder to my belt.

Nice little engine anyway.

Hello Kustomkb,
It is not that I do not like the steps, but I prefer it the way I did it. I am not an "ornamental" type of builder.
I hardly polish anything. I like the structure of metal as it is when machined. Sometimes I blast it with glassbeads to get a look more like a casting.

Nemt

nemt said:
Hello Kustomkb,
I Sometimes I blast it with glassbeads to get a look more like a casting.

Nemt

Please, what equipment is needed to do the above ??? ??? I have a small air compressor, I guess that's a start. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Hello Oldiron64,
The carb is of the same type as from the Wyvern.
Is is suitable for gas and for autogas or propane.
If you are interested I will try to send a copy from a ACAD-drawing. Can you open ACAD-drawings??

And Kustomkb, I use a moderate compressor and made a "blastbox" from an old stainless steel sink. Two gloves from the shop that are chemical resistant and a piece of Plexiglas do the rest of the job.
A small spray tube is used and therefore I do not need a lot of air. It takes a lot of patience to blast the items, but I think time is not an issue, is it??
Try to make a picture today.
Nemt

There is also a "Baking Soda" blaster that looks like a paint gun and is remarkably adept at removing paint from steel using nothing but big buckets of Arm and Hammer baking soda as abrasive.

The guys use one at work to strip brand new stuff, and repaint them military shades of green and gray. :p

Bob,

Hook one of these to your air and blast away!

15090.jpg

Nemt,

I am the opposite, everything mirror finish if I can.

;D

Latest posts

Back