drilling small holes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
When I try to drill with a #50 bit, I notice a lot of eccentricity at the end of the drill bit. Is this due to run out on the drill press, or is it the drill chuck? I think this is why I break bits when I drill smaller holes.

Thanks

OS, what is the condition of your chuck jaws? If they are beat up and show signs of wear, than it would be a good time to replace it. Be certain that when those smaller sizes are placed into the chuck that it is in fact being gripped by the jaw faces and not being captured between the jaw sides. It is easy to do if care is not taken. Also, tighten the chuck by turning the key in all three tightening holes to snug up the chuck, this will prevent 'springing' the chuck. You might run this simple test to see if the chuck has excessive run out. Verify a few short lengths (3-4 inches) of various diameter drill rod (silver steel) for straightness by rolling them across a piece of glass or other known flat surface and watch for any bows. If the pieces pass this simple test, then grip them in your drill and under power observe the ends to see if they have excessive run out. You may find that the larger diameter sizes will not seem to 'wobble' as much as the smaller ones will. If this is the case than your chuck is not capable of gripping the smaller sizes accurately. Be sure that the smaller sizes get captured by all three of the chuck jaws. This is a cheap and dirty test and is by no means 100% but it will show the results of wear and tear. Also, you could roll that #50 drill bit across a piece of glass to be sure that it is not bent as well. I hope that this helps in some smallish fashion and good luck with finding and correcting your troubles.

Cheers :bow:

BC1

Some people are of the opinion that twist drills are suppose to make straight round holes right where you want them, it's not that easy!!!

As bearcar said there are a lot of things to check and do to have any luck at all. Twist drills are used because they are convenient and do a passable job for most things that don't require a lot of accuracy IE: bolt holes.

Good round straight holes require high accuracy techniques and better tooling. Small drills need extra care.

If it's anything like an average drill press,it's not really designed for high precision.
You can improve your lot substantially by getting a pin collet chuck.These usually come with 3 or 4 collets.Fit this in your larger chuck,and have at it.Peck at the hole,rather than trying to drill in one go.Lubrication may also help.Don't forget to set the speed at the highest possible setting.It still won't be fast enough,but gives you a better than even chance.
The next step up is a "dremel"in a stand.If you're really rich,a Proxxon drill press is the ultimate hobbyists tool.Mucho Dinero,though.
BTW.,you do make a punch mark first,don't you?Trying to drill a small hole without it is a shortcut to failure,e.g. broken drill bit.

Especially with small drills you should also check to see if the drill is straight.

Latest posts

Back