DRILL ROD OIL WHAT TEMPERATURE DO YOU HEAT TO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Don Huseman

For oil drill rod what temperature do you heat it up to to quench and how do you anneal it. Also were do you find this information out in machinery hand book I looked under drill rod and didn't find any thing. When I buy it on sail and enco or other companies they don't supply a spec sheet.

In general, heat to the "critical" temperature. That should be about 1400 degrees F. Check with a magnet. If the magnet won't stick, you're there.

Quench. Do you know what kind of drill rod you have? Oil, water, air? You've said oil, so quench it in oil.

Now to temper. This is generally done at 425-450 F. The easiest thing to use is a toaster oven. They're pretty cheap these days with a digital thermometer built in. Let is sit in that toaster for an hour.

Here's a quick link I found that might help: http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ10.shtml

Those are the broad basics. There are more precise procedures that are dependant on the steel you've got. The knifemakers go crazy with heat treating.

Best,

BW

Also before you temper, polish the part to a bright shine. Then when the "straw" color is reached quench in oil again. Guy Lautard has a nice write up in his Bedside Readers and Kozo also has a nice write up on how this is done.

Regards,
Bernd

Latest posts

Back