Drill Chuck Removal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman

Reaction score
I have a drill press with a 1/2 inch chuck with J33 (I think) mount. Tonight, I could not get the chuck to open more than about 5/16 diameter and it locked up and wouldn't turn. I want to remove the chuck and replace it for now. What is a good way to remove it from its taper? I thought about a 6 pound sledge and a big cold chisel but there is probably a more civilized technique. Help.....please. ironman PS: it is Harbor Freight all the way

Heat the chuck and cool the shaft, and a few taps down through the center of the chuck with a drift punch and it should come apart.

Good luck and have a great day.

Rex

If it is like mine I used a 6 inch length of pipe that would fit over the Morse taper shank. Stand that up on the bench put the chuck in is so the Morse taper is inside the pipe and the back of the chuck is resting on the top of the pipe. Put a 1/4 inch drift through the chuck (should be a hole in the back of the chuck to give access to the end of the J33 taper) Hit the drift Morse taper shank falls into pipe problem solved.

Richard

The shank on the Harbor Fright drill press does not come out. You'll need to get a pair of wedges as suggested in the Jacobs link. If you have a ball joint spreader tool that may work.

Thanks for the assistance guys. I will go out and find my old ball joint tool. Did read the Jacobs removal procedures. Thanks again. Ironman

Ironman,

If you use the ball joint tool be sure to lay the machine over and support the chuck and spindle with a block of wood.

I never have this problem. Mine likes to remove itself at the most inopportune moments. Like the time I had a 1/2" endmill in it and my hand was very near by. :eek:

Latest posts

Back