Dremel Drill Chuck and Collet Adapter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90LX_Notch

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
As much as it is frustrating, I have enjoyed making very small engines. With that being said, I thought an adapter that would allow the use of the Dremel drill chuck as well as Dremel collets in a drill press or lathe might prove useful for future builds.

The drill chuck costs under $10.00 at Lowes and the collets came with my Dremel. Dremel does make a four piece collet set. http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachm...roducts.aspx?catid=5&catname=Chucks+&+Collets

I figure at some point I will attempt to make collets in smaller sizes.

The drill pictured in the chuck is a #60. (.040)

DSC02316.JPG

DSC02315.JPG

DSC02314.JPG

What thread is the Dremel spindle? I remember trying to figure it out long ago but don't remember the answer if I ever found it.

Those little chucks are great. Buy an extra one and you can make yourself a keen pin vise.

PINVISE.jpg

Shred - The thread is a custom one as far as I can tell. .277-40

Marv - Definitely. I have a Starrett size A pin vise but one made with the Dremel chuck would be far more versatile.

I have a few more ideas for this now that I know I can do it. The idea would be to make another one with a female JT33 to the Dremel threads. This would mount directly to the Delta 8" drillpress that I recently robbed the 1/2" chuck off of. Then if I re-pully the Delta for higher rpms it should be a decent set up for drilling very small holes. Along the same lines would be a MT#2 to Dremel that would mount directly in the headstock of my Craftsman 6" lathe.

I emailed Dremel tech support in a previous thread and they replied the thread size was .280x 40.

I measured it at .277 and apparently Noitoen did also.

0,277 or 0,28 the difference is 0,0762mm. I suppose that's the tolerance difference. ::)

Noitoen said:
0,277 or 0,28 the difference is 0,0762mm. I suppose that's the tolerance difference. ::)
Maybe that's .277 to the flats on the male thread instead of the full-form?

The thread is proprietary to Dremel.
Any of the numbers given here would work.

It is actually .276 X 40

Rick

Hi guys,
If the model engineer thread 9/32 x 40 doesn't fit, I'll apologise for the bum steer, but 9/32 = 0.28125, and with normal thread production methods, I'll bet .277 is a practical outcome. The difference is just 0.004" on diameter!
Regards, Ian.

Enco has Double Angle Collet Chucks, I bought the series 300 with a 1/2 shank. Collets are available from 1/64th - 1/4". They are made in the USA!

SM891-7168

They have 10% off & free shipping today!

Latest posts

Back