Double Acting, Twin Cylinder, Oscillator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Pete - just the ticket for a 1 to 1.2m steam launch.

Once again thanks for your kind words and support. Its the knowledge that you are there looking over my shoulder, a bit like a virtual shop foreman, that ensures progress and of course quality of workmanship is maintained.

On the boat; I'm looking for the plans for a suitable gas fired Scott/Inglis type boiler, or at least it has to be horizontal and out of 3"tube 'cos that's what I've got. Those plans I've seen are for 5 or 6" tube which I'm never going to find in NZ. Any ideas on plans?

Other than that the next engine is going to have a valve chest and eccentric setup. Something like Touts POM winner or I've also seen Bogs plans for one that may suit as some of the parts bear a resemblance to this model (are they the same?). However, I do plan to slow down a bit as two engines and a boiler since I started in February is burning up valuable 'house points'

Thanks guys

Pete

Pete,

Very nice engine and a smooth runner. I really like the red accent paint.

Dennis

Pete,

Really, it isn't worth you building the Paddleducks engine, as it was designed really to get someone with very little experience to produce a fairly complicated engine, more a 'learn as you go' exercise. The bore and stroke is exactly the same as the one you have just made, but it is much larger and a lot heavier, it could have been made a lot lighter and trimmer, but then I thought that doing so would really be pushing what a novice could achieve.
It can be used to power a boat, but it would have to have a lot more room in it for it to fit.

Have a look at this one. Just down the road from you. I think perfect for what you want.

http://www.steamech.com/marine-engine-model.htm

But read this first.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3925.0

I am just about to start the second phase. Personal things have held it up for a while.

John

Pete,

Very Nice. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

doubletop said:
Chuck et al

I asked the guy, who posted the video, where he got the bolier plans from as the engne looks like the one I'm doing. Its a Regner off the shelf item "Midi" http://www.traindept.com/bengmidi.html they originate from Germany.

If you look up Regner Midi there are a mumber of land based vehicles using this plant. One based on a Tamiya tank kit.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, the detail that goes into some of these RC models fascinates me. And, I have to guess, there's a fair amount of capital involved as well.

Bogs, I've always loved those two oscillators of yours. They are both very classy engines. Have often thought about putting together a pair to match yours! I'm actually toying with the idea of a steam powered RC boat using the vertical engine version. By the way, would you mind sharing the bore and stroke of those two engines?

Chuck

Chuck,

They are both exactly the same engine, but by making a few extra exchange parts, they can easily become either horizontal or vertical.

They are both based on the plans that Peter did his build off, just a few cosmetic, material and engineering changes to make them more robust and long lived. Both are 10mm (3/8") bore X 20mm (3/4") stroke.

Some of the ones I have made must now have hundreds, if not thousands of running hours on them, and I have only ever had one negative feedback, if you could call it that. It was a couple of months ago, a chappie had lost a part somewhere in his shop during his annual strip down and service, getting it ready for the new sailing season, and asked if I could make a replacement part. It just so happens, I had some bits already stored away, and just as I was about to send it, he found the missing part. They really are the sort of engine that will go on forever if made from the right materials.

John

BTW, I only have the horizontal one now, I gave the other one away to a friend who wanted it.

Bogs

See other post regarding Steamech model. It looks interesting but I'll give the guy a call to see if we can get to the bottom of the issues.

Thanks again everybody.

Pete

Hi Pete, what about the double concentric boiler on the John Tom site.The original drawing was by Basil Harley for his steam launch Miranda its a very simple design and when gas fired with a poker burner quite effective.Don't know who posted those drawing on J T site as they are a mix of designs and the boiler fittings seem to be Peter Arnot or Malcom Beak apologise if I've spelt the gentleman's names wrong.The original boiler and engine drawings and launch drawings are still available from My Hobby Store and anybody looking for a simple steam launch model cant go wrong as even I managed to build it 20 years ago and she still sails well although a little rattly. That is a beautiful engine you have made and is crying out to go into an open launch as you can tell I am a fan of these boats :big:.
regards and best wishes

fcheslop said:
Hi Pete, what about the double concentric boiler on the John Tom site.The original drawing was by Basil Harley for his steam launch Miranda its a very simple design and when gas fired with a poker burner quite effective.Don't know who posted those drawing on J T site as they are a mix of designs and the boiler fittings seem to be Peter Arnot or Malcom Beak apologise if I've spelt the gentleman's names wrong.The original boiler and engine drawings and launch drawings are still available from My Hobby Store and anybody looking for a simple steam launch model cant go wrong as even I managed to build it 20 years ago and she still sails well although a little rattly. That is a beautiful engine you have made and is crying out to go into an open launch as you can tell I am a fan of these boats :big:.
regards and best wishes

Thanks for the pointer it took a bit of searching but found the dual concentric plans on the John Tom site. http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans3/Steam%20Boiler/DualConcentricBoiler.pdf

It looks interesting and worth consideration. At first my attention went straight to the 15mm cross tubes, which would be under compression. However, if its a myhobbystore plan its no doubt fine. I'm a member of their site so I'll have a dig around there.

Thanks for the heads up

regards

Pete

Back