Done lurking

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWimshurst

DavesWimshurst
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an exhibit designer/builder/repairman for a small science museum in Aurora Il. I got my first lathe in the mid 60's. I thought I'd post a few pics on topics I've seen here.

Some engines

IMG_0111.jpg

a radius tool

IMG_0030.jpg

an LTD Stirling engine

IMG_0147.jpg

some turner's cubes, the largest is 2 inch.

IMG_0126.jpg

More later

Dave

What, no Wimshurst machine?

Welcome aboard. You've got some lovely models there.

BTW, you have my retirement dream job.

Welcome to the forum Dave!

Lurking is simply casual obsevation prior to becoming an active member.

I'm sure most of the active members started out this way.

I look forward to see more pictures of your work.

Question. What is that small motor in front of what appears to be a Stuart?

I like small, simple, and interesting motors. Any chance you have a larger picture of it?

Thanks.

-MB

Ok

Sectorless triplex Wimshurst machine with 18 inch disk.

IMG_0131.jpg

Will try to decipher posting vids next
Dave

MB
The small bronze engine in front of the Stuart 10V is a piston valve of about 3/8 in bore and stroke.
I think I found the plans in an old model magazine from the 30's. I had access to a large library when in grad school. For the record it never ran well if at all, but it looked cute for the pic.

Marv
Sometimes the visitors, mainly school children, try to destroy/eat the exhibits. Grew up on a pig farm, same problem.

Dave

Welcome to the Forum, Dave.

Nice Wimshurst machine. Always wanted to build one but haven't yet. I do have a Van De Graaf generator that I built. I made a spun copper high voltage terminal for it. It's more or less an oblate spheroid that's 6" inches thick and 9" in diameter. Unfortunately, I've got it packed away since we are trying to sell our house.

Chuck

Dave,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Dave and thanks for showing your pics.

Ian (seagar)

Nice Wimshurst.

What is the peak average voltage on the sparks? and did you have any problems getting the insulators to hold up to that max?

I'm full of questions, but not rude! Welcome aboard Dave :D
Kermit

Kermit said:
Nice Wimshurst.

What is the peak average voltage on the sparks? and did you have any problems getting the insulators to hold up to that max?

I'm full of questions, but not rude! Welcome aboard Dave :D
Kermit

It takes about 10,000 volts to jump an inch of dry air!!! Current is low though.

Kermit,
I've not measured voltage on this machine but it's near 200 kv in dry weather. A larger machine with 23 inch disks was measured at over 300 kv by using 10 inch diameter spheres as a spark gap and referring to a table in physics handbook (CRC handbook). Spark length depends highly on size of the balls in the gap. The current level measures about 100 micro amp when measured with an analog micro ammeter in series with a small spark gap.
The disks used are G10 epoxy fiberglass. I've had some G10 that wasn't insulating enough to hold a charge and some that worked very well.
The insulators used to support the charge collectors and the food storage containers used to make the leyden jars are acrylic. All surfaces near high voltage must be kept clean and polished to reduce corona discharge.
Dave

Welcome Dave.

What a cool job. It must be a very rewarding one at that.

Bob

Latest posts

Back