Doing calculus with a bandsaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bandsaw method of verifying a mathematical formula. ;D

Assuming that the bottom is completely covered, then I believe a dipstick measurement in the center of the cylinder would give the same value for any angle of tilt.

kvom said:
Assuming that the bottom is completely covered, then I believe a dipstick measurement in the center of the cylinder would give the same value for any angle of tilt.

That might be true if the axis of the cylinder were vertical but in this case it was tilted slightly from horizontal. Moreover, the port where the dipstick enters is at the high (i.e., tilted up) end of the tank. While admittedly practical, it makes for some nightmarish mathematics.

mklotz said:
That might be true if the axis of the cylinder were vertical but in this case it was tilted slightly from horizontal. Moreover, the port where the dipstick enters is at the high (i.e., tilted up) end of the tank. While admittedly practical, it makes for some nightmarish mathematics.

Marv, are you saying that kvom's statement is not true? I did a quick drawing of an open top cylinder half full of liquid with the dip stick in the exact center of the cylinder. No matter what angle you tilt the cylinder the level of the liquid seems to stay at the same point on the dip stick...assuming the angle of tilt isn't so extreme as to spill the liquid.

Charlie

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you folks are suggesting but, just to be sure, take a look at the attached sketch and see if we're all visualizing the same thing.

Edit: Note that, in the sketch, I've exaggerated the tilt of the tank. Offhand, I don't remember the exact angle but it was only a few degrees.

tank.jpg

tank.jpg

mklotz said:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you folks are suggesting but, just to be sure, take a look at the attached sketch and see if we're all visualizing the same thing.

As long as the subject is on

Not that any one would have a tank setup as your dwg depicts, but for S&G wouldn't the surface tension of different liquids affect the actual dipstick reading. Its picking salt out of the sugar shaker for sure, just curious if their is a (cant explain it properly) table of surface tension height difference against a known standard that could be applied to the basic formula that would increase its accuracy over a variety of liquids measured.

Silly experiment with water and dipstick, the water creeps up the stick a bit, a drop of soap in the water breaks the surface tension and the creep also altered. Same amount of water but two different readings.

I'll go back to my room now

Robert

Foozer,

This was a big tank on a farm. I can't imagine anybody who is worried about minor inaccuracies due to surface tension measuring liquid levels with a dipstick.

I did the problem for the guy because it was an interesting math problem.

The real point of the thread was to introduce the concept of using metalworking to verify a derived formula and the idea of finding the volume of some odd shape by weighing it - a more accurate technique than the old practice of measuring the amount of water it displaces when immersed.

mklotz said:

Edit: Note that, in the sketch, I've exaggerated the tilt of the tank. Offhand, I don't remember the exact angle but it was only a few degrees.

I was visualizing something completely different.

Charlie

Slide1.JPG

My concept was the same as radford's.

While I'm OT, I can recall doing a contract project 20+ years ago involving the large petroleum storage tanks where tanker trucks fill up. Each of these tanks is "surveyed" to give a volume for each 1/16" of depth. The bottom of the tanks are usually conical so that any water in the tank will settle, and can be drained off from a valve in the lowest point.

Typically the contents of the tanks would be adjusted each time a truck filled up or fuel was delivered via pipeline or barge. Then each night the operators would record the reading on a float valve indicator. This was accurate enough for daily use to detect any discrepancies, However, once a month (usually midnight on the 1st) the operators would have to climb to the top of the tower carrying a tape measure and a plumb bob. He would coat the tape with a couple of inches of a clay-like substance (using the gauge value), and carefully lower the plumb bob through an access hatch at the top. When he felt it hit bottom, he would pull up the tape. The petroleum would have made a very accurate mark in the clay, and with this depth measuremant and the tank survey data, the volume in the tank could be determined.

I had the opportunity to climb up a tank and watch the measurement being done. It was summer in Atlanta, so no problem. But they also have to do it in mid-winter where it's cold and those steps are icy.

Hmmm, responding to your own posts. Isn't that a sign of insanity?

Although I must admit that anybody who can meaningfully combine 'dipstick', 'calculus', 'ungula' and 'bandsaw' in one thread probably needs some form of counseling as well.

Two sure ways to break blades on one of these saws.

Cutting thin stock across the thin dimension... If you want to cut a piece off some 3/16 x 1" stock you cut across the 1" dimension, not the 3/16.

Part not held rigidly (there's that rigid thing again). The saw blade exerts a surprising amount of force parallel to the blade. If the part is pulled crooked (to the cut) in the vise, the blade will bind and break. As on the mill, it's a good idea after clamping the part to grab it and, using all the force you can muster, try to break it free.

Latest posts

Back