Doing calculus with a bandsaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
I have a program on my webpage (DIPSTICK) which can be used to calculate the amount of fluid in tanks of various shapes from a dipstick reading. One of our British cousins posed the problem of a cylindrical tank tilted slightly from horizontal (to allow sediment to collect in the lowest area) and wished to have a dipstick program for such a tank.

To write this program, it was necessary to generate a formula for the volume of an ungula.
If you put a small amount of water in a cylindrical water glass and then tilt the glass so the water no longer completely cover the bottom of the glass, the shape assumed by the water is termed an ungula. Ungula is the Latin term for a cow's hoof (you may recognize Ungulata as the class term for cattle) and the shape looks something like a hoof, hence the strange name.

I did the calculus to derive the formula and came up with an expression* that's a bit on the complex side. The trick now is to verify if this formula is indeed correct.

I took a cylindrical piece of aluminum and bandsawed an ungula from it. You can see it on the left in the photo below. I also cut a cylinder from the same rod.

UNGULA.jpg

Using a jeweler's scale (handy shop item), I could determine the weight of the cylinder and, by measuring it, calculate it's volume. Given the weight and volume, it's simple to find the density of the aluminum (density = weight/volume).

I can then weigh the ungula and use the calculated density to calculate its volume (volume = weight/density). It came out to 0.0916 in^3.

Now, I could measure the ungula, plug these measurements into my formula, and see what the calculated volume was. The formula yielded a volume of 0.0910 in^3.

With an error of less than 0.1%, I called it good and pronounced my formula verified. The program was written and dispatched to the requestor, who, being an ungracious berk, never confirmed receipt or use of it.

--------------------------
* if
b = width of ungula base at widest point
h = height of ungula
r = ungula radius
V = ungula volume

then:

a = sqrt(2*b*r - b^2)
phi = pi/2 + arctan[(b-r)/a]
V = h*r^2*[3*sin(phi) - 3*phi*cos(phi) - sin^3(phi)]/[3*(1-cos(phi)]

What an ungrateful git! Maybe he thought it was a formula you just happened to have lying around (like you do!)

Marv,

As you are probably aware this is mostly over my head ??? But that said, the bit that certainly is not is the bit we should have all been brought up with ... The Ability to thank someone!!

We are not all like that I assure you, Most of us were raised correctly. ( I add please and thank you onto the end of strangers requests etc in shops and pubs... Gets me some odd looks but it does annoy me when people are ignorant!)

Ralph.

P.S. I really like the new word of the day... 'ungula' will now be inserted into various conversations for no other reason than to sound smarter than I was before I read this post!! :big: :big: Thank you. ;D

Yeah, Ralph, armed with "ungula" and "sagitta" the birds at the local pub will be all over you. :) Tell them that your job is searching out sesquipedalia (which also comes from Latin and translates literally to a word that is a foot and a half long).

Of course, being British, I'm sure that you, like the major general in Penzance, "know precisely what is meant by commissariat". :)

Please note, guys, that I'm not picking on the Brits. Lord knows I've had plenty of Americans do the same thing even when I've asked for feedback to confirm that the program works properly.

I thought the ungula was that odd looking thing that hangs down in the back of your throat!

(just kidding)

An interesting derivation. I'm more of the empirical school, so I was glad to see the formula was verified!

Best,

BW

Now your just showing off Marv :p :big:

I know a little and it gets me by! now I know a little more and it will help me a little further! ;D

Am I correct in figuring that the use of 'sagitta' in this instance would be the trigonometric version not the astrological? ;)

Ralph.

P.S. don't you just love to google everything you don't have a clue about!! :big:

Being a mathematical cripple, I'm completely Ungulated by all that.

Of no use, but possibly of interest, is the fact that ungula is Latin for a nail (as in fingernail)

Hence the horse family are the Monugulates since they run around on one fingernail.

Every day, if we're not careful we learn a new thing
andrew

Divided He ad said:
Am I correct in figuring that the use of 'sagitta' in this instance would be the trigonometric version not the astrological? ;)

Yes, Ralph, the trigonometric usage. If you draw the radius that bisects a chord, the portion of that line between the chord and the circle is known as the sagitta. And now, for extra credit points, what is the name for the other portion of that line - the part that extends from the circle center to the chord?

I just noticed this post, interestingly enough, since we're getting into Latin ,Sagitta is a Latin word for arrow or arrow head as in "Sagittarius"(the archer) ,also used by masons as the name for a keystone in an arch and by calligraphers as the term to describe the downstroke of the letter "Y", it translates into modern Italian as "saetta", also meaning arrowhead but with the added meanings of; lightning strike, Gnomon ( the bit that casts the shadow on a sundial)and "fast as lightning" etc.

I'm more of an etymologist than a mathematician so I can't answer Marv's question, without looking it up, but that's just my 10p's worth if anyones interested!

Giles

mklotz said:
Yes, Ralph, the trigonometric usage. If you draw the radius that bisects a chord, the portion of that line between the chord and the circle is known as the sagitta. And now, for extra credit points, what is the name for the other portion of that line - the part that extends from the circle center to the chord?

apothem :)

Very good, Derek. It's satisfying to see that there were a few people who didn't sleep through geometry class.

Your prize, a years supply of round tuits, will be in the mail soon. :)

Aw Gee! I'm in more need of Round Tuits than 'im.

Hey That's not fair!!! :(

That was my Question. I was out all day working my --- off earning a crust!! ::)

Still, used ungula and ungulata more than once ;D

Ralph.

I wouldn't worry Ralph ::) , if your anything like me you've probably got enough "round tuits" already ;D ............... in fact I'm sure I've got enough so send Tel a few months supply .............. at some stage :D ;)

Dave

.... like when you get a round tuit?

:big:

Well guys this was a very educational post with a lot of humor and no back stabbing. That's one reason I like this site

Trying to learn a bit about bandsaws and came across this thread.
Sheesh. Should I worry?
I think I'll start a thread.

Hmmm...
I thought the apothem was the name for the only natural born marsupial found in in the US....(grin)

Steve

Latest posts

Back