Does anybody recognise this engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce d

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope someone can recognise this plan and tell me the source. It came with a set of part-machined brass castings that I recently got, and I assume that it came from an old ME or similar publication. No real clues as to the date, but I am pretty sure it wasn’t recent. The castings (including spares) are good enough but not to the high standard I would expect from a modern commercial product, so are possibly home produced. The text at the bottom says ‘Detail drawings of the simple vertical marine engine, reproduced three-quarters full size’. A handwritten note found on a second copy of the plans indicates that a triple-cylinder version was intended, but no indications of such a version appear in the page.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance, Bruce

simple vertical marine engine.jpg

Apart from the overhung crank, it looks almost like a blow for blow copy of the Stuart 10V.

;D Yeah, I was aware of them! As I understand it, Stuarts did try to have them stopped, but failed, or perhaps they made enough minor changes to be legal. I know the early ones were direct copies, or as good as.

Looks like a dead ringer for the MK 1 "Trojan" as published in ME in 1949.....a few subtle differences ....but only in small details.

If you go to the ME website, you can download the MKII trojan plans for free.

Dave

Hello everyone,
Yes, the resemblance to the Stuart V10 is clear. Here is a standard and cylinder from the ‘mystery’ set beside the equivalents from a V10. The engine from Downunder is very close but to a much higher standard of finish.

Doubletop: chicken, I think

Dave: I had looked at the Trojan Mk11 but have never seen the earlier version. That would fit with the timescale as well, and to be a bit Sherlock Holmes-ey about it, the typeface used in the drawing looks right for that source and period. Do you by any chance have the article?

Thanks, Bruce

DSCF7822.JPG

DSCF7824.JPG

Send me an email and I'll send it to you...

Dave

Many thanks to Dave for emailing me the 1949 ME article on the Trojan engine. However, the search is still on: Dave’s eagle eye spotted that the article included an engine called ‘Warrior’ which has much in common with my ‘mystery’ drawing, but it is not the one.

The castings follow the drawing in first post, with a bore of 5/8th inch.

Bruce

I can not say for certain, but, those drawings and castings have the looks of A.J.Reeves co. to them. The Warrior casting set utilizes a four column design if I remember correctly, not the 'A' frame setup pictured. Some sort of marine engine I'm guessing. A nice smaller project that would be great for a collection.

*** edit ***
Well I retract the part about The Warrior having been an OC engine, I went and found my old set of drawings I had stashed away and found that the engine is indeed an 'A'-frame. I apologize for my blunder.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back