do we need a milling machine if we have a lathe milling attachment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquarius21

Reaction score
Two years ago I had surgery for two fast growing cataracts. Then this
past summer my right retina detached. The result is distortion in
my eyesight and relearning how to accurately do layouts and drilling
etc. Question. My old 1943 Clausing has a milling attachment.
However in spite of my financial limitations I still wonder if a
small vertical mlling machine would help with my hobby or not?
Thanks,.Quincy Nova Scotia Canada

Two years ago I had surgery for two fast growing cataracts. Then this past summer my right retina detached. The result is distortion in my eyesight and relearning how to accurately do layouts and drilling etc. Question. My old 1943 Clausing has a milling attachment. However in spite of my financial limitations I still wonder if a small vertical mlling machine would help with my hobby or not? Thanks,.Quincy Nova Scotia Canada

What is your hobby? I know this is an engine building site but that encompasses a wide array of devices and more importantly sizes of devices. Building a ten horsepower aircraft engine is a bit different than building an air powered engine that sits on top of a tea cup.

Now given the above I honestly believe that a vertical milling machine can help with the hobby in any case. However that really just simplifies operations and makes those operations quicker than can be done on a lathe. The question then becomes are you in a rush or do you have some really big milling operations planned? By the way the same question could be applied to a drill press or a number of other possible shop tools. It is really up to you how well equipped you want your shop to be.

You also used the word small to describe that milling machine, this may be a mistake depending upon what you mean. Many of the really small mills I would tend to avoid as they offer little advantage over milling on a lathe. Buy a mill large enough to do real milling in the materials you use.

If you struggle with eyesight issues you might want to consider a mill that easily upgrades to CNC. My eyesight isn't as bad as yours but seeing the dial divisions is becoming a problem. Sometimes I wonder if Bens bifocals are really that much of an advantage, sometimes they are a curse. On measuring tools I like high contrast etchings or filled scribe marks that make the scales pop out. If I could afford it I'd up grade most of my stuff to digital but that isn't possible. In any event this is just a couple of free suggestions for dealing with old eyes I'm sure others can chime in on this one.

A mill does give a good number of advantages over a milling attachment, including:

1) you have two machines, so you don't have to tear down a setup on one to use the other
2) mill will almost surely give a larger work envelope
3) you can mount a DRO, which is superior for those with eyesight problems like you

I would think that the vision problem you mention would be of about equal seriousness whether you were milling on the lathe or on a standalone milling machine.

My answer to your question, without even knowing what the nature or the scale of your metalworking hobby is, yes, a milling machine would help with your hobby in a very significant way. Do look at machines built for serious work, though, not at flimsy imports, mill drills, etc. My suggestion would be to not go to anything of lesser size and quality than a Rockwell. Older machines in decent condition are affordable.

Two years ago I had surgery for two fast growing cataracts. Then this
past summer my right retina detached. The result is distortion in
my eyesight and relearning how to accurately do layouts and drilling
etc. Question. My old 1943 Clausing has a milling attachment.
However in spite of my financial limitations I still wonder if a
small vertical mlling machine would help with my hobby or not?
Thanks,.Quincy Nova Scotia Canada

Hi Aquarius,
I am about to have my right eye checked for cataract and operation.
For now my lazy eye chips in. Digital Calipers and Digital Mikes are great help for 70 young Gus.Popping centreline cross hairs can be hit and miss. Prick punch helps avert cross hair misses.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering marketing the "HMEM Rubber Stamp Answer Kit."
Like day follows night, someone ( sorry, Marty) will answer a question like this with "Get a _____" without consideration of the shop size, power availability or budget.
A Rockwell or Bridgeport or Hardinge (in good, usable condition) might not fit in the shop or might not fit in the budget. I looked for my Bridgeport for 6 months and saw more worn out and badly maintained machines than you can imagine. I'm in the Northeast USA, where old iron is plentiful.
So, before spitting out the canned answer, let's ask for more info. A brand new, tabletop machine might, or might not be the correct answer.

Hi, All good points, my thanks! I am a newbie machinist having only had the basics one term while studying to be a mechanical engineering technologist in 1975!. Then several years ago an old machinist friend died and his family gave me his 1943 Clausing lathe and I purchased his metal cutting bandsaw and century old Hendey bench hand crank planer with a milling cutter attachment. ( I hadn't a clue what the planer was and have yet to do anything more than restore it.)
But I wanted to make model engines and my first is in the works ( model two cylinder rotary valve) and small parts for simple gas powered 7 1/4" model gas powered trains and components for kinetic sculpture. So, my milling needs are quite simple so I thought given my lack of funds, ( and who doesn't have that issue?)
lack of space in a one hundred year old rock basement ( were people that much shorter back then?... rapping my head on heating ducts and plumbing pipes with two post cataract surgeries and retinal detachment should have knocked some sense in my six decade head) and the lack of any old iron in Nova Scotia has caused me to look for a 120 v. import bench milling machine as I find it hard to get proper perspective when I try to look at what is happening on the lathe. Trying to adjust to the distortion in my right eye has caused me to wonder if looking down at a vertical milling spindle might be easier than trying to comprehend a horizontal milling action on the lathe. Sorry I did not spell out my needs and interests better! Thanks for any advice! Oh, it was claimed that my 1943 Clausing was declared to be "surplus" around midnight in Halifax harbour and so over it went ( into someone's waiting arms or row boat?) Sure wish a import milling machine needing a bit of TLC would appear in a similar way when one of the Bay of Fundy fishing fleet comes dockside:) Well, let me know your ideas including adding digital read outs, mirrors overlooking the spindle, or overcoming eye issues. Thanks for helping, Quincy

Quincy
I absolutely agree that it makes more sense to mill on a horizontal table.
Don't know what is available in Nova Scotia, but something from Grizzly or Busy Bee will fit your needs. Be aware, that a proper milling vise, collets, end mills and DRO will probably double the price. As far as the DRO, an LED or similar display would be much easier to read than an LCD as found on the inexpensive units.
A good, bright light will also be essential. I have a used dental light and it is great, but a bright LED lamp would be as good.

On my "can't work without it" list is my Bausch and Lomb headband magnifier. Under $40. Worth every penny.

Quincy,

I am going to approach your needs from another perspective. Rather than try to suggest a machine I'll address some issues that may be important in your decision-making process.

Your vision issues would seem to indicate that how you decide how to control your cuts would need more help regardless of what machine(s) you use. You describe your projects as simple at this point, but precision is still a goal for all of us. It looks like you are still early in this game and still discovering the directions you wish to go with the hobby.

I second Sshire in recommending the B&L magnifiers. Someone else here (Rake60?) once suggested more than one with different magnification factors. I have several different magnifiers in my shop, including one of the circline flourescent lamps with magnifier in the middle. I also agree that some shopping may be in order for measuring tools that fit your needs: Starret and Mitutoyo Mics and calipers have a smoothness of operation that makes them easier to close in on a measurement, and there are options in the product lines for different scale finishes (Matte, Polished, white, black, etc.)

It would seem that a High-Quality DRO is called for in your case regardless of what machine you have: The idea is to watch the DRO rather than the cutter. High-Quality is the key here. I have tried the inexpensive ("woodworker") DROs and making them from cheap digital calipers and found both approaches wanting. Your budget may differ from some of our recommendations, but you may want to spend more on a DRO than on other things. Perhaps someone else can recommend a specific approach or perhaps there is someone who can let you try one in practice before choosing. You have a limited budget and are starting out, so I won't go near talking about CNC, but those who have it love it and it could ultimately be an option.

If you choose a mill, it would seem that alignment and setup would be just as much of an issue for you as actual milling, so I would suggest avoiding the tilting-column small mills and the round-column mill-drills. Both of those need more attention paid to keep them in alignment and your vision problems may make it harder and more time-consuming for you to do in-between your machining setups. I would think you would also have the same issues with a worn-out used machine of any type.

Feel free to start a thread with a project and post pictures as you work with your questions: We can see what you're doing an doffer suggestions as you go.

Welcome and Good Luck,

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back