Disassembling a mill: Lay table down on dovetails or on its back?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleazey

Reaction score
I am disassembling my JVM-836 mill for cleaning, and am getting ready to dismount the table from the knee. When I go to lay the 200+ lb table down on some plywood, is it safe to set the table down gently on the dovetail itself, or is it better to turn the table over and lay it down on the top surface with the dovetail sticking up?

Either way, it's going to be on clean plywood, with some 6 mil plastic sheet on top of the plywood, and some kind of padding (clean lint free old towels, a couple of layers).

With the dovetail and leadscrew nut facing down, I will have to prop up the table to keep weight off of the nut. With the milling table top lying down, I have to figure out a safe way to flip it over from the upright position, safely and without dropping it.

Any advice is welcome!

I would cut a pocket in the piece of wood for the nut to fit in and lay it on the dove tails. It should probably be safer this way than with the dove tails up. In that position they would be subject to damage if something should be dropped on them.

Latest posts

Back