die holder question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have an odd ball (for me) die that i need to make a holder for. i usually just do 1 set screw but i though this time i would make a nicer looking holder and also put the 3 set screws like my better quality holders have.

my question is what deg should the 3 holes be? i have found a few answers saying start at 0deg then 45deg then 90. is that correct?

My purchased die stocks look to be about 15 degrees apart. My homebuilt one for my lathe only has one but I have thought about adding two more at 120 degrees apart. Not really sure if the angle matters unless you are using adjustable dies. Just my two cents.

i just found where Brian Rupnow designed one. his is 30deg both ways from center screw or 0, 30, 60

his design here
Heavy duty die holder | Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Thank you all.
now im trying my luck with different techniques of soft soldering stainless steel, doesnt have to be but would be nice if i can do it. so far stay clean flux seems to do "ok" but still dificult to flow on ss

I use one set screw.

Dave

i have an odd ball (for me) die that i need to make a holder for. i usually just do 1 set screw but i though this time i would make a nicer looking holder and also put the 3 set screws like my better quality holders have.

my question is what deg should the 3 holes be? i have found a few answers saying start at 0deg then 45deg then 90. is that correct?

If you are using split dies then the screw locations are set by the dimples in the die?

The centre one is to open the die and the other 2 are so that you can close the die up slightly.

Martin

My Moore and Wright die stocks have the screws disposed at 90 degrees to each other. I looked sideways at first, before realising that's actually the most logical way to do it.

i am just making a hand held die holder. i have made others that work fine with single screw for larger size dies but i do have a few adjustable dies (none in this size currently that i am working with), i tried to get the degrees from my existing die and find it dificult to do so i figured there was some industry standard that everyone else but me knew what it was. this little project isnt a major must be dead on acurate for me or anything. just wanted to make something better than my previous ones and when im dead and gone someone doesnt say - what the heck was he thinking, look at the set screws, they are totally wrong. or something like that. i do appreciat everyones input.

thanks again.

I don't know of any die dimple disposition dictat. For a hand-held holder I would put the three screws in to have the ability to close the die, as I think sometimes the work can expand an unrestrained die.

For tailstock dieholders I have followed the teachings of Guru George (Thomas) and put four holes, equally spaced at 90°, so the die can be centred and set to cut to size. I have not made a holder for each die, though. One day, one day.

Is there not an I.S.O. or British Standard for dies?

There may well be a B.S. for dies, but they can come from anywhere.

However, the one I have in front of me now (maker unknown) has FOUR dimples. Two of these are dead opposite (90 degs from the split) making it easy to see that the two "normal" ones are disposed 45 degs each side of the split. With something to compare to, all my other two-dimple split dies are just the same.

There is no doubt that Charles knows what he's talking about (have you seen his "Seagull" build?) and G.H.T is beyond reproach. When I make my preset die outfit, I'll be following George's approach to the letter.

I hope that clears things up for you, or shows that there are valid options.

-Andrew UK

Done. All stainless except the brass ball tips

Attachments

• EF4273FE-717D-4C85-A6E9-4D5CAE9CBD24.jpeg
    EF4273FE-717D-4C85-A6E9-4D5CAE9CBD24.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Back