Demon V8 Slow Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pdf. Steve very informative.

Ron

Spent a bit of time today prepping the cam blank for machining the lobes. I am going to try making the lobes on the 4th axis. I will give that a go tomorrow. Hopefully it will work OK.

CAM Prepped.jpg

Yes. That picture is the cam blank on my CNC lathe. I just need to turn the ends of the cam down to size and then it will go on the mill. I am really curious to see how milling the lobes on the 4th axis will work out. Hopefully I will be able to make the crank the same way. I'm learning a lot as I work through this project. Thanks for the plans!

It is a Haas TM-1. The machine will do the work I am sure. It is the rookie programmer I am wondering about. I have found that the CNC will do exactly what you tell it to, even when it's wrong...

Man some guys get all the cool toys..... Is it an Allison? I'm not real good on identifying those beasts.

I got the camshaft done today. It came out good. Programming that part was a big milestone for me so I'm real happy.

[ame]http://youtu.be/CxXJRQBUL5k[/ame]

Last edited:
Right about 40 minutes. I could speed things up a bit. First time cutting a part with new code I always use 5% rapids, relatively light cuts with reduced feed rate. Maybe it could be done in 25 or 30 mins by someone with more expertise than I have? I am not sure. It's pretty small diameter so I'm guessing that I couldn't take too hard of a cut. I am just really glad I got it figured out. Now on to attempting to make the crank. Again, thanks for the plans!

Nice job, Im trying to get into cnc now. If there was a smiley that spun around then fell flat on its face, that would be me after reading up on g code....

I managed to get a little more shop time today and I got the oil pan done, drilled and reamed the crankshaft bore, reamed the camshaft bore and started working on some of the details on the front of the block. I still get the heebie-geebies drilling and tapping the really small holes like the 2-56 ones in these pics. Got them done just fine though so maybe I am getting the feeds and speeds for the small drill bits down finally. Two two more holes to drill and tap on the front of the oil pan. I forgot to put those on my CAD drawing so I will have to fix that tonight. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics, I bought a camera for the shop but the batteries were dead this morning.

2012-12-14_17-47-57_104.jpg

2012-12-20_15-31-23_312.jpg

2012-12-20_15-31-30_662.jpg

2012-12-20_15-31-41_850.jpg

Can I do those itty bitty ones last ... please? PLEASE!

The thing that gets me the most is that once the CNC starts the tapping cycle you can not stop it with the feed hold until it's through the cycle. My machine taps best at about 750 rpm so it goes down into the hole pretty fast even with a 56 TPI thread. I find myself holding my breath every time those little taps go into the hole. Can't help it. So far, so good though.

I made it back to the shop today and finished machining the remaining details on the front of the block. Yes Steve including drilling and tapping the four 0-80 holes. It went smoothly. I am pretty happy with that bit of progress.

DSCF0056.jpg

Hello Maxine! Cheers from Brasil.
Great, great job.
I also purchased the plans for this engine I really love this project and I can`t wait to start producing some ships for this project but it still will take some time because I`m right now in the middle of another project. I`m building the Tiny 4 inline from (project from Kel). I decided to build this engine first because I did not have any experience in building any engine and the TI4 is less complex due to being a in line configuration.
I`m also struggling with the small taps. By the way every thing in this engine is so small. But I`m having a lot of fun building it. I also don`t have much time to dedicate to the project, I work very few hour on week nights and some more on weekends. I`m posting my progress under the title BUILDING OF TINY INLINE 4 IN BRAZIL.
Congratulations for your superb job. Keep sending the pics.

TKS,
Edi

Hello Maxine! Cheers from Brasil.
Great, great job.
I also purchased the plans for this engine I really love this project and I can`t wait to start producing some ships for this project but it still will take some time because I`m right now in the middle of another project. I`m building the Tiny 4 inline from (project from Kel). I decided to build this engine first because I did not have any experience in building any engine and the TI4 is less complex due to being a in line configuration.
I`m also struggling with the small taps. By the way every thing in this engine is so small. But I`m having a lot of fun building it. I also don`t have much time to dedicate to the project, I work very few hour on week nights and some more on weekends. I`m posting my progress under the title BUILDING OF TINY INLINE 4 IN BRAZIL.
Congratulations for your superb job. Keep sending the pics.

TKS,
Edi

Thank you for the compliments! I have been watching your build. I like the way you did your fan. Good idea. I may copy that method. Also your detailed photo series on how you did the con rods was helpful to me. I may go back and redo mine using that method. As you say building these little engines is a real challenge but also fun and rewarding.

Latest posts

Back