Cylinder Material/Piston Combo

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
I have intentions to build a full scale, single-cylinder, air-cooled, 4-stroke motorcycle engine based on a 1906 design. I will be using weldments, scrap steel, and bar-stock. to construct the various parts. The engine is based on the 1906 design outlined in the Hasluck book. Bore: 2-1/2" - 3" & Stroke: 3" - 4" approx. Commercially available timing gears, and intake and exhaust valves, tool-steel cams, alloy steel push-rods, lifters, rocker-arms.

The book calls for castings made from cast-iron for the cylinder, piston, head, etc. I will be using steel tube for the cylinder, maybe Aluminum for the cooling fins, and scrap steel for the head, and some other not too critical parts..

Can I use a steel cylinder, with a 6061 Aluminum piston/cast iron rings, or would a cast iron piston/ring combo be more durable running against the steel cylinder?

While this engine will be approx. a full-scale recreation, it will be only used for demonstration at shows, etc. It will not be a "working" engine. Recommended fuel is low octane Coleman's

Please suggest material(s) for fabricating these parts. Include options, alloy names, etc.

Con-rod
Piston
Crank-pin
Rocker-arms
Cam and lifters

I ask because what works for small model engines may not work well for a full-scale engine. I would rather over-build the engine for extra strength. Weight is not a factor.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Frank

Personally I would use a cast iron sleeve and an aluminum piston. You might consider using a piston from some commersial product like a small gas engine, or check out WISECO to see what the have close in size. You will get lighter weight and more strength that way.

A cast iron sleeve helps with lubrication - a part from the oil and part from the graphite in the cast iron. A cast iron sleeve inside an aluminum cylinder would work real well - and is rather common in aircooled construction. The sleeve handles the pressure and the aluminum conducts heat well.

My moped has an aluminum head and steel sleeved piston. The piston is aluminum held in place with a stainless steel rod and "circ" clips. The rings are made of steel. I've put 2,700 miles on it and I have had no problems. Regarding lubrication woul it hurt to add a liitle oil to the fuel? Incorporate an oil pan? I hope this helps.

Give this a look [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zt3SF_Flc[/ame]

Thank-you for the suggestions about selecting materials for this engine.

Wish I new more about the theory behind the engine construction. The engine resembles a very large, single-cylinder "Hoglett"... with a crankcase. Having a crankcase, I would guess that it must hold some amount of oil, and that this oil slings around to keep the lower end nice and slick. I also know that the crankcase gets ventilated.

The 1906 engine/bike build can be seen on the MadModder Forum in the Project Log section, and, on page 4, you can see a video of the engine running. Amazing talent, and machining. The bike ain't too shabby either.

If I can find commercially available pistons, con-rods, etc. I will try to use them. I going to search for a CI cylinder liner.

Frank

Forgive my computer ignorance, but I don't know how to post photos, etc. I have included, in my last posting, the site where this engine can be seen in photos and also a video. MadModder....Project Log section. Sorry I can't give you the direct link.

Frank

PS... I recently found out that my local library will be conducting computer skills-type classes for those like me who have trouble with computers. Eventually I will learn how to post more information.....maybe...I hope.

Rob...

The engine is shown in a video. MadModder is the forum that has the1906 engine/bike build.

Frank

Back