Cylinder head schillings engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudirk

Reaction score
Hallo,I have a problem to mill the radius R 14 of the combustor.
Here are photos of my head.

Kopf1.jpg

Kopf2.jpg

CAM00861.jpg

First I want to bore with different milling cutter the right deep.
Then I will turn a disc with R 14 and all angels to be need to mill aluminium.
Then I want to make a hlf disc and put it into my boring head to finish the R 14.
I hope you could understand my problem. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Is this the right way ?

dear Rudi

Kopf1.jpg

Kopf2.jpg

CAM00861.jpg

Rudi, I think that if I was faced with that problem, I would hold the head in a 4 jaw chuck in my lathe and make a small dedicated ball turner to suit. I realise that it is a small radius, but I think that it's achievable. Use a small dia piece of HSS as a cutter, sharpened to a point, and have a pivot under the cutter.

Paul.

Rudi,
Have you considered using a 14.00 MM radius ball end mill of dia. 28.00 MM to shape the combustion chamber? It may cost you a few Euros but would solve your problem without making a special drilling tool which may or may not work to your satisfaction because of the various holes already in the head.

Peter J.

Thank you for your answers. I have made a turningtool nad here you can see the result.

CAM00862.jpg

I think it is ok so. Now I make a chuck for turning the head.

Rudi

CAM00862.jpg

I have almost identical issue with my radial engine hemi head combustion chamber. I first ground a cutter with a lip. But it has a lot of contact area so required very slow feed & cutting pressure. Ended up making a radius style cutter. Worked much easier. In hindsight I should have just made a ball cutter type tool. Guess that's next on my list.

IMG_0510_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0624_edited-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back