Cross side extension build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My steady on Grizz G4003G Is too small to be of much use except for very small diameter pieces, about 1-1/2". I intend to build a larger one sometime.
Not hard build .
The largest I have made was 32" using 2" plate steel.

I have just took one some other lathe and made a base .

Also cut off base and brazed new base for smaller lathe.

If make from plate I copy the way do mini lathes where does not hing. Unless doing production the hing is not need and make simple to build.

The telescoping that using was for Steady rest and it was welded in place.

I show hex only because I large supply in 12L14.
I would use a 5/8 NC thead size and the finge would turn tap size 17/32" . Makes simple build. It give about 2½" finge exstension. That give you a 1½" to 6½" steady rest.

Dave

FYI
If my drawing it shows ½" NC the for a small follower rest . The finger is also tap size

Last edited:
Dave, interesting idea and food for thought. Sorry, but rather then venture guesses, I'll ask what is the full intent?
-----------------------------
After I wrote the above, I did a reverse image search. The original poster listed the the below as the intent. Is it correct to assume you have the same?

I designed this new bolt on cross feed assembly to solve several issues. Some of the new features are:
(1) added a ball thrust bearing.
(2) Added 3/4" cross slide travel toward the operator with no need to machine out clearance in the saddle casting.
(3) New longer, tighter tolerance cross feed screw
(4) New bronze 3/8-20 L.H. nut with integral dowel and oil port.
(5) New slip ring micrometer dial.
(6) Backlash can be adjusted and maintained at less than .002".
(7) New hand wheel which is extended out toward the operator to minimize interference with the carriage hand wheel.
(8) Hand scraped cross slide mating surfaces improving parallelism and squareness to the lath axis. It has made a dramatic improvement to the lathe.

I am working on 5, 6, and the extend out part of #7 for my Logan 10" right now.
I am also making a new bronze nut. The one came is steel.
The new one will have a oiler too and setup for a tapper attachment.

Dave

Last edited:
My steady on Grizz G4003G Is too small to be of much use except for very small diameter pieces, about 1-1/2". I intend to build a larger one sometime.
I have made drawings for full length tapper attachment. My lathe only has a Max. Carriage Travel of 12" this gives 10° Tapper on one side or 20° both sides.
I also look at adapt a South Bend 9A/10K tapper attachment

Dave

Here is the drawing for a larger 2 1/2" finger.
It will give a 1.5" to 6.5" steady rest since you have a 1.5.
I use steel and brass that is easy to find and weld to steel

Dave

Attachments

• LONG FINGER (1).pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Here the new cross slide
It has with oiler and setup for tapper attachment too
cross slide nut.jpg

Dave

I need the exact dimensions of the Grizz G4003g cross slide lead screw. I suspect I will have to take it apart to measure it.
I first did this on a Rockwell lathe back 1980's. They use a 1/2" x 10 TPI LH ACME. I purchased a ACME tap just for nut.

The lathe was to light for my work at time. But did improve the lathe with a new longer screw, nut and cross slide.

Dave

Here photos of the exstension in use.
The length is nice and can face a full 8" too.

20240216_163912.jpg

===================

20240216_163936.jpg

Your extension is good. I will need to build one also for the Grizz.
I did this to Rockwell lathe in 1980's with new cross slide and nut too.
It used a ½" LH acme thread. That was a very costly tap it is my tool box today.
I would buy the tap and die to gether so match. I found out Chinese is only close on size.
I use 12L14 steel for screw.

Please post before photos

Dave

I did this to Rockwell lathe in 1980's with new cross slide and nut too.
It used a ½" LH acme thread. That was a very costly tap it is my tool box today.
I would buy the tap and die to gether so match. I found out Chinese is only close on size.
I use 12L14 steel for screw.

Please post before photos

Dave
I do't need a new nut., the old one is like my head--barely used.

I do't need a new nut., the old one is like my head--barely used.
The match tap and die so screw fits the nut.
The Chinese re-sharpen there taps and adjust the screw to fit.
Can be a real pain.
So best way is have both and have no headaches. The cost from Amazon or Walmart is under $20.00
My set cost $12.95 from Walmart.

FYI
I used my old nut and it was under size

Dave

Latest posts

Back