Cross Drilling a Cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Having transfered a cylinder from the lathe to my mill-drill is there an easy way to pick up the diameter to cross drill through the diameter? Is there a precise method?
Thanx again,
Ant
PS: I hope you guys in NYC and NJ are OK

Get a point of some sort in your mill chuck, place a steel rule on your cylinder and bring the point down to touch. Keep adjusting until the rule is horizontal. And there you have it- dead simple- pre Euclidian maths!

Might I also hope that you guys are OK. Bit like the Blitz!

Thanks so much Goldstar, I'd forgotten that one, and I had used that method before.

Get a point of some sort in your mill chuck, place a steel rule on your cylinder and bring the point down to touch. Keep adjusting until the rule is horizontal. And there you have it- dead simple- pre Euclidian maths!

Might I also hope that you guys are OK. Bit like the Blitz!

Thanks Goldstar, I had not thought of that, never too old lean.

An edge finder will be more precise, esp if you have a DRO. You can use the vise jaws as opposed to the cylinder itself. For rods of appropriate size, I will secure the work in the vise using a 5C collet block, and then center on the block body.

Latest posts

Back