crankshafts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
Hi, I seem to have a lot of trouble machining small multi cyl cranks. Is it possible or feasible to cut the excess material away then use a type of tool post grinder to finish the journals?
Your thoughts?
Terry

Yes it can be done. The hardest part is trying to find thin enough grinding wheels to get between the cheeks of the crank and move back and forth a little.
gbritnell

Thanks for the replies, the one I am presently cutting is roughly 1/4" wide between the throws, I have been cutting the excess out with a parting tool and finishing with a 3/16" tool that has a tiny slot in the middle of the cutting edge, I don't have good luck with the parting tool , it needs so much stick out, I have the tip just a hair below center but it will every once in a while grab and twist everything. It just seems there must be a better way. Looking at tool post grinders in various forms here on the forum, I wondered if they would work.
Frustrated!!
Terry:wall:

A tool post grinder will always leave a radius, size based on grit of wheel. And most TP wheels are 46 -60 so the radius is not small. Google to find radius.

have a look at the grinding wheels that are used on chainsaw electric sharpeners , they are about 4"dia and only about 1/8" wide , the one i have has a 7/8" arbour and is good for 7800rpm .

johno

have a look at the grinding wheels that are used on chainsaw electric sharpeners , they are about 4"dia and only about 1/8" wide , the one i have has a 7/8" arbour and is good for 7800rpm .

johno

That's a very useful bit of advice - thanks for posting.

Back