Converting metric prints to imperial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate your input and value it. I apologize if I came across incorrectly but I didn't intend to. I can understand where you are coming from especially when you work with such tiny increments. I have the same problem at times being a toolmaker as I work in tolerances of +/- .0002 very frequently so when I do get a dimension at +/- .005 I feel like I have a mile to work with. I find it hard, at times, to adjust myself. BTW, have a martini for me as well!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Greg

Greg,

Apology is not necessary, I am just nuts. :D

All the talk about conversions causes nothing but problems in my world. The next common step in the conversation is the rounding problem. There are countless contradictory standards clouding the whole issue. IEEE Standards, would have us round to the nearest even integer. ASME Y 14.5 always round in, so as not to violate a tolerance zone.

This all has not so much to do with trying to build an engine with my Grizzly mill (where I hold .001" on a good day) but makes me crazy nevertheless.

So here I sit, having my second Cocktail, and bothering friends on the forum.

Sorry :p

I appreciate your input and value it. I apologize if I came across incorrectly but I didn't intend to. I can understand where you are coming from especially when you work with such tiny increments. I have the same problem at times being a toolmaker as I work in tolerances of +/- .0002 very frequently so when I do get a dimension at +/- .005 I feel like I have a mile to work with. I find it hard, at times, to adjust myself. BTW, have a martini for me as well!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Greg

im with your there..... i was a toolmaker once and mainly dealt with imperial and now its more metric. but i tend to have a small strop when i measure something that comes out at 24.97mm when it should of been 25.00mm. to me i see the 3 but realy its just .001" which is bug all in typical garden shed enginerring.

how i see it...... tolerances are put on a job for a specific reason. there not put there to boost the ego of a engineer that can just give it the old "i'm way better than you bla blaa cos i can work to blaa blaa" (not making a dig at the micron guy's above :))

as for the 25.4 or .03937 debate.... i have never heard of using .03937 as a conversion. that doesn't mean to say its wrong, but as other have said 25.4 seems to be righter.

Download Alibre, feed it the Alibre files that I sent and tell it to print them with all dimensions in inches to 3 decimal places. Nag Nag Nag.

Jim

Latest posts

Back