DavidBC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidBC

Reaction score
Hi all I need help. Attached is a copy of an email I sent to Myford which will explain my problem. Would be grateful if anyone can help.

I have a Long Bed Myford Super 7 fitted with a quick change gearbox, Lathe S/N SKL108912 and Gearbox S/N QC105103 and also a Metric Conversion Set
1481/1 all purchased from Myfords Australian agent as a special order in 1972. I need to be able to cut imperial threads additional to and outside of the default range of 8 to 56TPI of the gearbox. As an example I need to be able to cut 60TPI. Do you have an imperial chart similar to the attached one that would help me with additional gearing and position of the gearbox levers as the attached metric chart shows. If you do not have a chart do you have information that I can use to work out the required gear setups utilizing the gearbox gearing and lever positions as in the metric conversion. The only thread charts I can find with the pitches I need are for the std ML7 without the gearbox. If you do not have anything that could help me achieve the results I need would I have to purchase from Myford a full set of std ML7 change gears. If I have to do this in what position would I have to put the gearbox levers to allow a change gear set up made up of std gears to work.

Hi David,

I have an Imperial Myford S7LB with a gear box and power cross feed. I can easily cut metric threads ! What I did was to change the pulley directly below the tumbler gear from 24 teeth to 33 teeth and use the gear box to get the metric threads.
The reverse should be possible.

Now if your machine has the metric conversion then I would think that it would be a matter of changing the gear and calculating what setting the gearbox needs. Assuming that the leadscrew is 8 TPI. I have a table somewhere.

Hi BaronJ, thanks for replying. I originally sent a request to Myford for information but was surprised by their answer, I will attach it so you can read it.

Hi,

You could either put the question (as we don't know) on a model engineering web forum as they tend to be very knowledgeable. A hardware solution would be to buy a new none gearbox leadscrew/banjo and bypass the gearbox and putting it back into a standard gearing ratio.

Their answer was not what I expected from Myford. My original request was that I need to cut a thread 60 TPI and was after information how I could achieve it. After I received their reply I did as they suggested and put a post on the forum. I had some free time today so I sat down and thought about it. My thoughts are similar to what you have written about the metric setup you use. I divided 40 TPI which is available on the quick change box into 60 TPI that I want to achieve which gave me aa ratio of 1:1.5 so I applied this ration to the 24T gear and found I require a 36T gear to replace the 24T and set the gearbox at the 40TPI settings. I am hoping this will solve my problem. I used this ration on all the other TPI settings on the QCB and was surprised how many extra threads are available by changing just one gear. I would be interested in obtaining a copy of your chart as the thought of just changing one gear and achieving such a successful result is a much better option than having to change banjo's and gear train setups.

Regards
DavidBC

Hi David,

I'm not in the least surprised by the response that you got ! Very much par for the course.

729598.jpg

This is the chart I have, I hope it helps

Hi David,

I'm not in the least surprised by the response that you got ! Very much par for the course.

View attachment 119208
This is the chart I have, I hope it helps
Thanks BaronJ.
This chart will be very useful for me. The only gear I do not have is the 21T and I believe they are hard to source, there is no known suppliers of Myford parts in Australia so I will have to keep watching the internet to see if I can source one. I ran an add on Gum Tree in Australia for about 2 months looking for used Myford gears or accessories and did not receive any replies. Also yesterday I had a relook at cutting the 60TPI thread I want to do and I found I can also use a 30T as well as the 36T.

Regards
David

The 21 gear should be common enough because '21' is a transposing gear as are 63 and 127.

I have a couple dating back from when I was using a banjo bracket on an old Myford.

Try RDG Tools in Yorkshire

Cheers

Norman

The 21 gear should be common enough because '21' is a transposing gear as are 63 and 127.

I have a couple dating back from when I was using a banjo bracket on an old Myford.

Try RDG Tools in Yorkshire

Cheers

Norman
Hi Norman, I wish they were. I have tried RDG and they sent back that it could be weeks or even months before they have any. I was hoping someone on the forum may have one they would sell. We don't even have anyone in Australia who even sells Myford parts. Unless I can manage to score a pre owned one in the UK I may have to make one myself but even that is going to be a problem as I will have to make something so I can Index 21 divisions first.

Regards
David

Hi BaronJ,

I just had a look on their site and they only have 20 deg pressure angle, the myford gear is 14.5 deg. Contacted RDG and they emailed back that it could be weeks or even months before they have any. Hoping someone on the forum may know of a pre owned one that the owner no longer has use for and could assist me in acquiring it. It appears my only chance of finding one is going to be in the UK. Will start looking on the net and see if I can find some phone numbers as I can ring the UK free. Looking at this stage I may have to make one myself but first I will have to devise a means of indexing the 21 divisions as I do not have a dividing head. Wasn't a good day weather wise here today so I made a compilation of tables. I hope you don't mind as I have included the one you sent me. I am going to laminate a copy and leave it near the lathe for reference. Not knowing if you can open excel speadsheets I also saved it as an adobe file, I will attach the 2 files for you. The site won't let me put the excel file on. Looks like my bad day is not getting any better.

Regards
David

Attachments

• Modified Std Gearbox A.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 248
I've probably got 2 SETS of the multiples of 5 and 21's and a homemake 63T but as I said, I need the suggested gears instead. Again, I want a part set of SIEG C4 gears.

I want to be able to screwcut metric on my Imperial Myford box.

Neither of us are winning?

Best of Luck

Norman

HI maybe this file will help you. I need a 21 tooth gear to cut the metric pitches 0.40 and 0.50. I am a target shooter and need the fine pitches for the fine adjustments on sights. You leave quick change box setup as is and change the 24 tooth gear to a 33 or 34 as chart shows and set the levers at the TPI as shown. But to cut a 0.4 and a 0.5 pitch you need a 21 tooth gear and the levers at 56 for 0.4 and 44 for 0.5.

Regards
David

Attachments

• Modified Std Gearbox A.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 242
Stop knocking yourself out...RDG Tools is "Myford." RDG bought the rights to Myford when they went belly up. Check out the Internet, and the advert pages of MEW or ME and you should see several sources for used Myford spares (gears, etc.) that ship all over. Hope this helps.

Stop knocking yourself out...RDG Tools is "Myford." RDG bought the rights to Myford when they went belly up. Check out the Internet, and the advert pages of MEW or ME and you should see several sources for used Myford spares (gears, etc.) that ship all over. Hope this helps.
Hi, I am sorry but not familiar with what MEW and ME refer too.

Regards
David

Home and Workshop Machinery <[email protected]>
Thu 10/09/2020 11:32 PM

To:
  • You
I tried phoning them but gave up and sent an email. Just received the answer.

Hi David,
Sorry, sold out at present.
Regards
Steve Holder
Home and Workshop Machinery

Thanks for the links
David

Back