Conditional logic and counters with TurboCNC?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky961

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make TurboCNC deal with either conditional logic or counters? The GCode is very simple, and there are no instructions that I've seen documented for the interpreter that does this.

I don't think I'll be using TurboCNC forever, but it was just the easiest thing to get up and running quickly on the low-end PC that I had sitting around here. Suggestions for my next installation would also be appreciated.

-Sparky

I have yet to get that far with my cnc . IIRC the premiere issue of digital machinist suggests writing a simple loop program in basic w logic and counters tat will geneate g code that can then be imported into turbo cnc and the like.
Tin

Thanks for the tip - though I'm not sure where I'd find that issue.

I received a "free trial" issue of Digital Machinist a little while ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. It seemed to me that at least half of the articles were about going and buying kits and installing them on your various machines. All, of course, sponsored by the various companies selling the kits.

If there's anyone else who's been receiving the magazine and has had a more positive experience, I'd love your feedback.

-Sparky

Sparky, you're looking for parametric g-codes or g-code macros. As far as I know Mach3 only has a very limited macro capability with no conditionals or looping, and I assume TurboCNC does not either, although you could check into it.

I think the problem is that parametric g-code never got standardized really. There are a number of dialects (like Fanuc B) and non-standard extensions various manufacturers have created over the years.

It's a pity we don't have them at the hobby level, because they're very powerful. Maybe they are there and I just haven't been able to find them yet.

Fellas, another handy tool for g-code generation is Excel. It's fast and easy and you can get it to generate any g-codes you like. I don't have one handy (they're throwaway), but here is a fellow that used one to generate the odd shapes involved with a model Wankel engine:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11562&highlight=wankel+excel&page=2

His first post on the top of the page linked gives some hints.

Cheers,

BW

Being a (recently "former") programmer, it's really hard to write a program without conditionals. I like to write throw away CNC programs by hand as I'm making little parts on both the lathe and mill because it greatly improves the accuracy and repeatability (and I can sweep up the chips as I go...).

Does anyone know if TurboCNC is considered "abandonware" yet, and if the source code is freely available? I'd love to have a look at the interpreter that's used and make a few "tweaks" to it.

-Sparky

Sparky, I sure wish you'd switch to Mach3 and add it there!

I don't know if Brian would let you in the code or whether it could even be done with a plug-in somehow, but there's a lot more people using Mach3.

Cheers,

BW

I'll have a look at Mach3, Bob. TurboCNC works sufficiently well for most of the stuff I do, but I'm always annoyed at the occasional crash and bug in the program.

The most annoying one is that after a while, or after performing certain operations, it won't zero the axes anymore. I have to exit the program, restart it, and reload my program.

-Sparky

sparky961 said:
Does anyone know if TurboCNC is considered "abandonware" yet, and if the source code is freely available? I'd love to have a look at the interpreter that's used and make a few "tweaks" to it.

-Sparky
Turbo CNC is not abandonware you may download a full version to try and use for an unlimited time the author encourages registration and the $ 60 registration fee includes access to the source code.Hhere is a quote for the turbo cnc site
"Source code and free support is yours when you register this program for $60 US. See the ordering page for details".

http://www.dakeng.com/turbocnc.html
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
"Source code and free support is yours when you register this program for $60 US. See the ordering page for details".

Thanks, I have seen the site. My question was because neither the site nor the program seems to have been updated in quite a while.

-Sparky

Latest posts

Back