Compressor pump to engine conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever converted a compressor pump to an engine that runs on gas. I have an old compressor pump laying around now that the tank got a hole in it. I look at it and all i see is a 90 degree V-twin engine. I need something new to take to the NAMES show and the $#$%&%& that I ordered cutters from to make mini bike parts with is taking his sweet time. I'm thinking about building some heads and trying to run this thing. It will need to run slow with the cast flywheel. Sure would sound cool thump thump thumping on the table this year.
If you have done it, post a few pics.

DSCN3168s.jpg

DSCN3169s.jpg

Hi Steve, sound like a good project. ATLAS COCOP do manufacture air compressor usingFord motors v8.
4 cylinders for power and 4 for the compressor. maybe having a look at any vtwin on motor cycle would be a good start.
I can easely see a case with a cam sitting in the valley with push rod going to the head.:)
I have one question for you.. alot of guys are using powder and attachement to lap the cylinder......... why not use laping coump for valve
instead???

thanks
Luc

Hi Steve,

Interesting project. I've not converted a compressor to an IC engine, but I've seen photos of engines built from compressors and I think this was in Gas Engine Magazine. You might find some information on the SmokStak group.

New heads, a valve train, ignition, and fuel system and you'd be set. Push rods and rockers would look nice, but an overhead cam on each bank, driven by a timing belt might be the easiest to adapt.

I bet this thing would sound great, just ticking over at idle. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

If anyone can do it it you Steve, cant wait to see what you do.
Maybe a challange to yourself to see how slow you can cet it to run?
Ill be watching this thread
chris

I would be very concerned with the pressure loading, an IC engine has a firing pressure of 1000 psi and up, the crankshaft is small on a compressor, if compared to a IC of similar bore and stroke. While I could see it as a free running engine, loading the motor would lead to its short life.

That said deboreing the engine with a spigot type sleeve would reduce displacement and forces on the crank, as well as provide a place for more head bolts. Long stroke to bore engines run slower, and that is a good thing.

Just thinking out loud.

Hello Steamer,
very interesting idea. Look here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1TsmN2TDs[/ame]

This was a very old water pump without motor sold in ebay. Thomas Lange converted it with scrap to a hot tube gas engine.

Best regards Klaus

Hi Steve, sound like a good project. I have one question for you.. alot of guys are using powder and attachement to lap the cylinder......... why not use laping coump for valve
instead???
Luc

Can't help you on that one. I dont lap my cylinders or valves.

Hi Steve,

New heads, a valve train, ignition, and fuel system and you'd be set. Push rods and rockers would look nice, but an overhead cam on each bank, driven by a timing belt might be the easiest to adapt.

I bet this thing would sound great, just ticking over at idle. Please keep us posted.

You know me Chuck, I'm not in it to take the easy road. I have enough of it worked out to start making parts. Just need to make alot of them.

untitled2-1.jpg

untitled-12.jpg

Hey I can imagine the sound of it at this moments.... What is the bore /stroke
I'll be watching

Right Steve. No easy road for you and making it a pushrod engine will add a lot to the visual effect. Nice concept on the cam and housing. Will this be a timing belt drive to the cam or will your gear it? Any idea yet of the bore and stroke? This thing will look like a huge Jerry Howell Vee Twin and should really cackle.

Regards,

Chuck

Hmmmmm....I come up with 540cc based on those measurements.

Hmmmmm....I come up with 540cc based on those measurements.
2.625x2.625=6.890625...x.7854=5,41189 (surface area) x2 (stroke)=10.8237 (displacement of one cyl)x2=21.6475 CU
or177.349 (displacement in CC) x2=354.69 cc

cheers and Happy New Year:)

2.625x2.625=6.890625...x.7854=5,41189 (surface area) x2 (stroke)=10.8237 (displacement of one cyl)x2=21.6475 CU
or177.349 (displacement in CC) x2=354.69 cc

cheers and Happy New Year:)

I have no idea what conversion factor you used to get there.
What is .7854?
I know originally, I used Pi x diameter instead of Pi r(squared).

I have no idea what conversion factor you used to get there.
What is .7854?
I know originally, I used Pi x diameter instead of Pi r(squared).
This is a trick or short cut I show to all my students in electropneumatic, it allows them to have a faster answer with out using a calculator when they have to figure the area of a cylinder.

area formula for a circle is ( a=pi r2) now assume that we have a 1inch shaft it would give you this (A=3.14159x [.5square] .25 answer.7854 in other word if you take a 1inch square put it on a lathe and turn it down to inch round you would have to remove 21.5%
of the material
But because I know what % I have left I use the formula for a square tubing
area(square)= side x side Knowing the % left i use Diameter x Diameterx.7854 and thats it.
If you wnat to do an experiment take any square solid bar put in on a scale mark the weigh turn it down to a round shaft and weigh it again you would have remove 21.5 % of it's weigh

I hope it help

cheers

Luc

This is a trick or short cut I show to all my students in electropneumatic, it allows them to have a faster answer with out using a calculator when they have to figure the area of a cylinder.

area formula for a circle is ( a=pi r2) now assume that we have a 1inch shaft it would give you this (A=3.14159x [.5square] .25 answer.7854 in other word if you take a 1inch square put it on a lathe and turn it down to inch round you would have to remove 21.5%
of the material
But because I know what % I have left I use the formula for a square tubing
area(square)= side x side Knowing the % left i use Diameter x Diameterx.7854 and thats it.
If you wnat to do an experiment take any square solid bar put in on a scale mark the weigh turn it down to a round shaft and weigh it again you would have remove 21.5 % of it's weigh

I hope it help

cheers

Luc

It makes perfect sense. I don't think I'll ever use it, though. It depends on how long I can remember .7854. I make sure all my calculators have a "pi" button, but none has a constant that is .7854.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hi It is easy to make a engine out of a air compressor. I have made 6 of them I have not made one out of a v yet. I use lawn
mower engine parts to make mine out of. The timing gears , valves and VW gears. I just put a picture of my last one in the
photo abum.
Waynesmotors

Latest posts

Back