Collet sets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
I want to buy an ER32 collet set but not sure how tight the tolerance on them are. If I get a metric 2-20mm set I'm guessing there is enough play in the appropriate sized collets to use them on imperial stock ?

Also has anybody bought a set from Hong Kong, I've seen these on Ebay but it'd be good to get some feedback if anybody else has bought similar

http://tinyurl.com/o9tnk7

(I know there is a US based seller that people have used but I'm in the UK so postage cosst rules that out)

Thanks

Jim

A set of metric ER collets will span the entire range and work for any imperial sizes. They also make imperial-sized ones if you really want but it's not necessary (also be careful because sometimes the 'imperial' ER collets are just metric ones marked for the closest imperial size!)

I bought this R8 shank Collet chuck with a full set of Imperial
size collets from the eBay vendor 800watt for $80 USD.

ER32Collet-1.jpg

They run round and true.
I'm very happy with them for the price!

Rick

I also bought myself a cheap set of er32 collets and chuck from ebay from a dealer in HongKong and including the postage it cost me about what it would of cost me to buy just the chuck locally and I'm very happy with them.

800watts are pretty good, I have that same set and chuck. I have found 1 or 2 of the collets were "not quite right". They were workable, but required fiddling. These were largely problems around the size marked versus fitting an endmill that should have fit and whether I could have the nut on the collet chuck or not before inserting the endmill. In some sizes, the fit was tight enough I'd have to remove the nut entirely, insert the endmill, and then reinstall the nut.

For more money (quite a bit more), I also have a set from Maritool. I have founded their products to be excellent and a good buy if you want to step up from the imports. In particular, they are as good or better than Bison, but they tend to be a lot cheaper than Bison.

Note that there have been no runout problems with the cheap collets, just the inconvenience factor. They're entirely workable.

Cheers,

BW

JimM said:
I want to buy an ER32 collet set but not sure how tight the tolerance on them are. If I get a metric 2-20mm set I'm guessing there is enough play in the appropriate sized collets to use them on imperial stock ?

ER collets all have a 1mm grip range ie a 20mm collet will grip from 20mm down to 19mm, so yes they cater for all material sizes from 20mm down.

If you do want genuine imperial ER32 collets, Maritool have them and their quality is top shelf.

Forgo a couple of pints at the local and you have the extra postage money ;)

Forgo a couple of pints at the local and you have the extra postage money ;)
[/quote]

no way man i love my pints ;D do not give up the pints and if you do send them my way :big: :big:

Hi

If this is your first buy from a Hong Kong seller there are a few points you might like to bear in mind:

1. What you see as the price/postage isn't what you'll eventually pay. Likely additions on entry to the UK are:

(a) VAT (on the cost price if I recall correctly, not cost plus postage)
(b) Royal Mail delivery surcharge (£8 the last time I made such a purchase — this is in effect what Royal Mail charges you for recovering the VAT and passing it on to HM Revenue & Customs!).

2. Delivery times can be lengthy — 3 weeks the time I made a buy so you may need to be a little patient. Moreover, almost certainly the package won't be delivered to your door. Normal procedure is that the postman will deliver a card inviting you to call at the local sorting office to collect the package and pay the surcharges.

So, for example, my purchase of an ER25 collet set plus holder for a net price/postage cost of around £34 ended up costing £51 overall. Still cheap compared to local prices but not quite the stonking bargain it looked at first sight.

Joe

Just a quick update on this as my collet set arrived today.

Delivery took 2 weeks, which is fine as I wasn't in any rush. They appear to be well travelled :) - Ebay has them listed as coming form Hong Kong, they were actually shipped from Shanghai and the boxes all say made in Taiwan !

They sneaked through customs so didn't get stung for VAT / duty etc so the Ebay price is all I paid

Quality wise they look pretty but as I don't yet have a collet holder (I'm going to make one) I can't comment on run out etc

Cheers

Jim

Lucky man!

I wish I could see a consistent theme in the handling of UK customs charges. My recollection is that they apply duties on goods worth £18 or more but I've heard of a few cases where goods worth more got in "under the wire". Maybe the point of despatch affects the issue — my goods definitely came from Hong Kong (though, like yours, the collet boxes showed "Made in Taiwan"). Perhaps stuff from the PRC goes through a separate channel on arrival and somehow gets dealt with more favourably. Who knows?

Anyway, glad it worked out for you.

Joe

Hi Joe, it's definitely just down to luck with the UK customs. I've had all sorts of stuff shipped from all over the place (Hong Kong, USA, China and Oz among others) and only been hit once. I'm just guessing but would think with the volume they have to deal with since the internet took hold means that they can only realistically check and stop a small percentage.

You're right about the £18 cut off although I think this is upped to about £25 if the item is marked as a gift. Last thing I bought from the US was a couple of paint guns, these were marked as gifts but had an insurance declaration label of £150 on them and they still got through. !

The other thing that makes a difference is the carrier. If it goes through the Royal Mail / Parcelforce then there's a good chance of getting away with it. If it's sent via something like UPS then you're much more likely to pay duty.

Cheers

Jim

Latest posts

Back