Cleaning up cast iron tractor weight

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score

I’m trying to clean up/square up a piece of cast iron cut froma John Deere tractor weight. My 4x6 band saw cuts it easily, but nothing in themill will get through the skin. I’ve tried fly cutters and end mills.
The skin is rubbing the cutting edge off the fly cutter. ½” mill cutter stalls the mill (belt drive).

Mill is an x2 with DRO/tach. What am I doing wrong?
Chuck

Cast iron "weights", be they window, tractor, barbell, or whatever, are notorious for being chilled and full of nasty hardened areas inside. If their only original requirements were for its weight, then its not likely to be useful for a machinist.

I had the same problem trying to "recycle" some window weights a few years back. I'm a firm believer in trying to use things that come my way, like these window weights. But after trashing $60 worth of cutting tools (bandsaw blade, carbide end mill and carbide turning tool) I gave up and bought a piece of Durabar CI in the same size for $20.

I agree with Lakc, the original intended use was for weight, not necessarily to be machined.

Cheers,
Phil

I have found no problems with the iron inside the weight. As I said, my bandsaw cuts it nicely. I have cut several pieces off the origional lump. I'm only having an issue with the 'skin'.
Can the 'skin' be removed chemically as the mill scale is removed on hot rolled steel?

Chuck

How about filing off the skin. I've used this method with el-cheapo files to get through hard spots in castings.

Try heating it to red hot then cover with warm sand and let it cool slowly or put it in the center of some charcoal light them and let them burn down to ash and let the ash hold the heat until cool.

How about filing off the skin. I've used this method with el-cheapo files to get through hard spots in castings.
How about using an angle grinder to remove the skin? It won't think twice about those hard spots....

Mike

Even with Carbide cutters the speed should be lower than You think, slower will not hurt, faster will be a learning experience.

I intend to try an angle grinder.

Chuck

You'd be surprised what one can do with a 4.5" angle grinder, especially when you don't have a milling machine yet. One thing to consider though, is that these weights might be better quality then some other example of cast iron weights. They take one hell of a beating on most farms.

If your bandsaw is cutting it OK then take an 1/8" slice off to remove the outer face.

J

Tried a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder and figured thatwas a bad idea. Gave it one more try with the X2 mill. ½” cutter, 500 rpm, slowtraverse with the power feed. Worked like a champ!

Chuck

Latest posts

Back