cleaning off excess silver solder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

Iprobably know the answer to this question but just in case I have missed something I'll ask. I had to re-solder the top of my current boiler build due to a small leak. Unfortunately the solder ran everywhere as can be seen in this shot.

DSC08602.jpg

Armed with small files/emery/wet & dry I am trying to clean up the top plate. Not easy with the bushes and funnel in the way. Is this the only way or are there any tips I should know about, apart from be more careful next time. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Cheers

Rich

Hmmm ... my only suggestion would be small files/emery/wet & dry

Hi Tel

Do I need elbow grease????? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rich

don't know if it would work
I use a dremil drill with a rubber pad (like the old ink pen erasers) to remove casting lines in aluminium its not as abrasive as grinding wheels

Wayne

Rich,

Go over to your favourite local supplier, they have on special offer some 1/8" shanked 120 grit flapwheels. For use in your mini drill.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Clearance-Items

They should be able to get rid of the excess fairly quickly. Then finish off with some elbow grease once the thick stuff is out of the way.

At 50p each, it is worth buying a few in. I would go for the larger size, as they soon become the smaller sized ones anyway. I bought a load of the 1/4" shank ones, and they are very good quality.

Just a hint about next time you get carried away with the silver solder. Get a pencil and draw around the part you are soldering, the silver solder shouldn't flow past the graphite or lead barrier, Tippex works just as well.

Blogs

Hi

Thanks all

Found some elbow grease. I'll nip into arc and get some of those flap wheels. Wayne, I have some rubber ends, do you use them dry??

Cheers

Rich

I've used a micro-blaster and either x-fine glass beads (takes a while) or 220 grit AlOx (faster, but can remove base metal). You've gotta be careful not to intrude on the integrity of the boiler.

Yes I do use them dry
it might be worth a try never used them on solder before but worth a try

Wayne

Hi

Picked up one of these little spiral emery thingies for the dremel type tool

DSC08862.jpg

It made quick work of removing most of the excess solder. Then with a bit of wet and dry it looks much better. There are still some scratch marks but overall its a great improvement. I must be more careful when soldering.

DSC08864.jpg

Cheers

Rich

If I have to keep solder off of an area, I find that a carpenters lead pencil works well to keep the solder from spreading and sticking. The wide soft flat lead makes fast work of covering an area. The solder will not stick to it, and it cleans up real quick when you are done.

Dale

dwentz said:
If I have to keep solder off of an area, I find that a carpenters lead pencil works well to keep the solder from spreading and sticking. The wide soft flat lead makes fast work of covering an area. The solder will not stick to it, and it cleans up real quick when you are done.

Took the words right out of my mouth/keyboard. ;D ;D

Hi

Thanks Helder and Dale thats a good tip.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

You can try one of those blender disks 2" (like a scotch brite pads) loop and hook type attachment to go into your dremel then place a pad on...away you go. It's not as aggressive as one of your emery thingy.

I used them when we had to weld a band saw with a crack...I would use it to finnish the weld to within 1 thou of the plate thickness.

By the way, I like your build logs...well done!

Regards

Philly

Hey Rich

Did you try the rubber wheel I would be interested on how it worked

Wayne

Hi Wayne

No not yet. I'm going to try it next to see if it will remove the scratches I have put in with the emery thingy. I will be away on hols for the next 2 weeks so no more posts for a while.

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back