Chucking Reamers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMyers

Reaction score
I want to buy some fractional chucking reamers. Where can i buy good quality in a hobby budget ? I checked ebay, no real deals there. Are there any "good" imports ?

BMyers said:
I want to buy some fractional chucking reamers. Where can i buy good quality in a hobby budget ? I checked ebay, no real deals there. Are there any "good" imports ?

Enco caries good import sets and individual sizes. I started out with a set of those and still use them today. I think that most imports are "good" except for the ones from W. Germany... Those are probably the best I have ever used! Another good source is flea markets, garage, and estate sales. I have gotten a few hundred that way, most of them appear to be new. Being from a city that was heavily industrialized in the 40s' 50s' and 60s' etc has its benefits! Recently I did buy one 1/16" reamer from Enco due to that size is very elusive. I'm pleased with its quality.

One thing that has not turned up in any quantity is corner rounding end mills. So far to date all I have found are 2x 1/16". I would like at least a set up to 1/2" but new corner rounding end mills are very expensive!

I looked at an import set on E-Bay for about $70 but common sense told me I'd better buy a higher quality since there purpose will be strictly cosmetics. I haven't looked at reamer sets on E-Bay, but I'm surprised there isn't a good amount available.

-MB

There are a lot of reamers on ebay, either import or new, but I have found ENCO has better pricing.

This may be the lowest price import at the moment;
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=990-1020&PMPXNO=2946858&PARTPG=INLMK32

U.S.A. sets are a little pricey for the average home shop producing hobby motors. But the members on this forum are financially diverse I'm sure. They might be a good investment or simply just a waste of money.

You could also buy just the size(s) you need at the moment (import or U.S.A.), and build your set over time. The Hout metal case(s) is a good place to start a collection.

-MB

In addition to the normal fractional sizes, you'll find that a set of over and under reamers will be immensely useful.

Shucks MB - you nearly gave me heart failure ;)
I think that most imports are "good" except for the ones from W. Germany...
till I read
Those are probably the best I have ever used!
All tools I have are imports - none gets manufactured here in Namibia ;D.
I find W/German tools VERY good indeed :D, so I pay a premium to get it.
Next to that (and VERY MUCH on par!) I buy South African made tools - all my drills some taps & reamers are SA made and a lot better than Asian-made items.
An interesting thing though - I can find nearly no US-made tools here in Namibia - nearly all SA or European-made, and a lot of Asian tools.
I can actually buy a box set of 2mm to 16mm Asian made taps & dies for the same price as I pay for just for a set of German-made 6mm taps....
Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Shucks MB - you nearly gave me heart failure ;)till I read All tools I have are imports - none gets manufactured here in Namibia ;D.
I find W/German tools VERY good indeed :D, so I pay a premium to get it.
Next to that (and VERY MUCH on par!) I buy South African made tools - all my drills some taps & reamers are SA made and a lot better than Asian-made items.
An interesting thing though - I can find nearly no US-made tools here in Namibia - nearly all SA or European-made, and a lot of Asian tools.
I can actually buy a box set of 2mm to 16mm Asian made taps & dies for the same price as I pay for just for a set of German-made 6mm taps....
Regards, Arnold

Sorry! Sometimes I have wording malfunctions that can cause readers to have headaches, heart attacks, thoughts of suicide, thoughts of murder, etc.

Its best not to take anything I say seriously, just to be safe! ;D

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
Sorry! Sometimes I have wording malfunctions that can cause readers to have headaches, heart attacks, thoughts of suicide, thoughts of murder, etc.
I thought I was the only who did that

mklotz said:
In addition to the normal fractional sizes, you'll find that a set of over and under reamers will be immensely useful.

Would you give us an idea of where or under what circumstances that you use the over & under size.

David Morrow said:
Would you give us an idea of where or under what circumstances that you use the over & under size.

Press fits and sliding fits are two important areas.

Manufactured rod is seldom dead-on in size so one needs just a tiny bit larger or smaller than nominal to get a good fit.

You can achieve this fine fitting through boring, of course, but that gets difficult in the smaller sizes.

The first (and only) set of reamers I bought was an over/under set. They've worked well-- most of the time you want a press fit or a sliding fit on parts anyway. I've since filled in with a few on-size reamers in conenient sizes and DIY reamers from drill rod as needs arise.

I scored a set of Yankee Reamers 1/16" to 1/2" by 1/32" brand new on ebay for cheap ! I also ordered the import over under set Enco has on sale. Hopefully that will hold me over for a few days !

Several years ago I really scored the winning TD woohoo1 when I was the high bidder on Epuke. This was way before it got so commercialized and before everybody started to put up 'junk for sale'. I paid $57 for a full set of reamers sized from .125" up to 1.000" in 64ths and the set included the standard set of tapered reamers (#0 to #10) as well, all nested in wooden trays inside a nice metal box. 95% of them still had the sealed wrappers on them from the factory. I almost fainted when I got them! I cannot begin to imagine what that set would cost new today if one could even find a set as nice. ;D They have been a tremendous help in my endeavors at model making.

BC1

many years ago I scored a set of Millersburg hand reamers from 3/16 to 1" by 1/16 in nice wood box for $40. they too appeared to be unused. that was a find. I have moved to the point hand reamers don't fill my needs. so, when i put in an offer for a nice set of chucking reamers I was surprised they accepted.

I obtained a set of reamers along with my mill. They are sized the same as a drill index, with the fractional, numered, and letter sizes up to 1/2". They are all India/China imports, but for brass and aluminum they work wekl. I did have to buy a 1/2" from Enco as that one was missing.

Latest posts

Back