Christmas Shopping Find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Saturday's shopping trip included a stop at Toys R Us to find a few things for the grandchildren.
It didn't take long for me to become bored with the Barbie section so I was off to the model area.
I like models of any type. If they move that's great. If they fly.... Well...

How about a $30 mini scale RC helicopter?
AirHog.jpg

What 48 year old, model crazed kid could pass that up?
I can even get it to fly all over the living room!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtSt3_P-d0[/ame]
(I should add the fact that I was actually trying my first attempt at a hover there...)
smiley9-1.gif

It is a great stress reliever for those moments when a relaxing hobby gets a little too intense.

Rick

Those are lots of fun! I have 2 of them. Both broken :big: crashed a few too many times.

Eric

I stepped into a ground wasps nest once, and it seems to me they made the same noise and were about the same size----not nice!!!

Those things are a blast! We've got six of 'em. That way four can charge while the other two are being flown by me and my boy. Mrs. Wareagle sometimes doesn't see the humour when we are buzzing her!!! ;D

I need to get myself a new one. Mine must got about 8 hours of flight time out of mine and have warn out the lippo battery in it.

Oh, jeez ... now you've hit another hobby - r/c aircraft. Now I have to get several of these to take apart and dig into the innards to see what I can do with the radios. Range isn't a problem - bumping the transmitter power up a skosh is no big deal - but I'd like to find out how the actual controls work in the choppers. I suspect there's one motor directly driving the tail rotor as well as through a proportional drive between the two main rotors for rotation, lift, and other little details.

Unfair, Rick!

BEst regards,

Kludge

rake60 said:
How about a $30 mini scale RC helicopter?

What 48 year old, model crazed kid could pass that up?

Your just a barmy old beggar ;D ................ then again ............. so am I ....... this weekend we will be trying to find those over here ........ just to keep the Grandkids happy you understand ;)

CC

Kludge said:
Oh, jeez ... now you've hit another hobby - r/c aircraft. Now I have to get several of these to take apart and dig into the innards to see what I can do with the radios. Range isn't a problem - bumping the transmitter power up a skosh is no big deal - but I'd like to find out how the actual controls work in the choppers. I suspect there's one motor directly driving the tail rotor as well as through a proportional drive between the two main rotors for rotation, lift, and other little details.

Unfair, Rick!

BEst regards,

Kludge

They have 2 'pager' motors in them.
One drives the rotor and the other the tail.
When you first left off you have to trim the tail rotor to get it to hold steady and they have a slow forward movement by having the nose slightly heavy. You only have up / down and turn left or right controls on them but for the price they are great and nearly indestructable.

One of the young flat-bellies at work has one & he flings it underhand (power off) up close to the 28 ft. ceiling in our shop. Just as it starts back down he throttles up and it sorts itself out in a couple oscillations. He then cruises it around near the roof beams, hither & yon. As the battery starts to lose it's "edge" he flies it around in slowly descending figure eights until it won't sustain flight any more. He says the initial fling to altitude saves a lot of power and he gets to play longer.;D

It is quite the incredible little machine for the money.

I've got one of those things,but I can't for the life of me trim it into straight,or even mildly straight flight.It just goes around in circles.Still fun though.Hans.

We just had to get another one.
It's a little bigger and easier to control.

The wife is getting pretty good at it.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePgMyIzaZpo[/ame]

We are visiting my BIL this year for Christmas. Between my boy, myself, and he and his boys, and another BIL that will be there, three of these things will be airborne in the house at once probably for a week straight SWMBO can hardly wait. :big: :big:

Ok, I gotta get one of those!!

It will drive my parakeet nuts!! ;D

I bought one each for my son and son in law last Christmas they were such fun that I went and bought one myself. They are great and ran it for months before I had a problem. If you want to know how to repair one I did a page on my website http://www.mikes-models.com/picoZrotor.html. I was surprised at how easy it was to get spares.

They are great! :big:

Great info there Mike.
That page is an immediate bookmark here!

Today the wife brought a 3ed one home.
It's a slightly different design.
Heilo3.jpg

I wonder where I put the phone number for that therapist?
Perhaps I should schedule an appointment before this obsession gets out of hand!
12.gif

Rick

tmuir said:
They have 2 'pager' motors in them.
One drives the rotor and the other the tail.

Cool! I have a bunch of those motors from BEAM robot projects (including ones I sent Noelle in the pre-Yogi days) so I'll have spares should something become broken. THis is becoming coolerer and coolerer.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Well, I have orders to go get seven of these things in the early morning. I don't think SWMBO knows how much I hate holiday shopping crowds. She said she'd make it worth my while...

It does warn you on the box that these are for ages 8+

Don't let that scare you.
Even an old buzzard like me can figure it out, given enough time.
:big:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2VjN1xVCo[/ame]

I think they missed the age requirement by a mile!! My young boy (4 years) can fly the stuffing out of these things! And they are built very tough! The abuse ours have taken is tremendous. They got it right when they designed 'em!

We have a blast with them here in the Eagle's nest!!

Back