Chord calculator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd

Reaction score
Marv,

I downloaded your chord calculator. It works up to the point of where I input the bolt circle. After I input the bolt circle and hit enter everything dissapears. The dos screen just disapears. :eek: ??? I don't get an answer. ???

Bernd

BTW I'm running Windoze XP home edition if that helps.

Bernd

Right click on the program icon, then click on Properties.
Click the "Program" tab and take the check out of the box that says:
"Close on exit" Click apply and it will work for you.

Rick

Rick beat me to the punch.

This is far and away the most frequent question I get from my page. So much so that the very first paragraph of the Introduction has a big 'NOTA BENE' in the fond, though futile, hope that people will read the solutions given there.

I have to answer this question so frequently that I wrote a form letter with which to reply...

This is a form letter reply to your email because I'm really, really tired of continually having to answer the same question again and again.

The problem you're having is not due to a fault in my software. Rather, it's a result of the fact that you don't understand how your operating system works.

If you had read the very first paragraph in the Introduction section at the top of my webpage, you would have seen that it says:

*** NOTA BENE ***: If you're too lazy to read this introduction, at least read the last four paragraphs so I don't have to waste my time answering questions already answered here.

And the last four paragraphs say:

A number of DOS-challenged users of my programs have written to complain that when the program terminates, Windoze, in another one of its mis-guided attempts to think for the user, closes the window before they can inspect the answers generated by the program. Dave Wood has spent some time working out how to keep Micro$oft's abortion from trying to outthink the user. He writes:

In Explorer, right-click on the .exe program name. Select "Properties". Select the "Program" tab. At the bottom of this dialog is a single check-box "Close on exit". Un-check this box. At the bottom of the dialog click on "Apply," then "OK".

His remarks are specific to XP but I expect they are applicable to other flavors of MS so-called operating systems.

Also, Anthony Nagy writes, "I discovered that if you create and use a shortcut to run the program it will run under Windows and not terminate. I run Windows 2000. This may also work with your other programs and other versions of Windows."

mklotz said:
Rick beat me to the punch.

This is far and away the most frequent question I get from my page. So much so that the very first paragraph of the Introduction has a big 'NOTA BENE' in the fond, though futile, hope that people will read the solutions given there.

Guilty of that one Marv. :-[

You may now take away several Karma's on that one and take away shop privileges for one month. I think that should be punishment enough. As they say "RTFM".

Thanks guys.

Humbly,
Bernd

P.S. Just tried it. Works great. You guys taut me something new. I didn't know you could do that with a right click of the mouse botton on a program. Can I have my shop privileges back, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?

Bernd,

I apologize if my reply was a bit acidic. It's just that I've been dealing with this for ages and, well, I'm human. Don't beat yourself up over it.

However, keeping the RTFM dictum in mind is still a very good idea. Now, get back to work in the shop. :)

No apology needed Marv. (I realy didn't take it that seriously :p)

It's just I don't stop to RTFM until it's to late and I ruined a high dollar item. :'( Then I can kick myself in the butt. Occasionally I need a kick from some one else to keep me on the straight and narrow. Thanks :D

Believe it or not I did read part of your note thinking how many won't do that and I was one that didn't.

So back to the shop it is. Right after I clean up a bit. Ya! Like that's going to happen that I clean up.

Bernd

Bernd, don't feel bad I have used and talked about Marv's programs for years now and believe it or not the ones that don't pm Marv pm or email me with the same questions. I think it's just in most of man kinds nature to just dive in. I had to bug Jim (Tin) earlier in the week about where the instructions for the bearing of the Open Column engine talked about soldering the part. DUH...I must have read it over and over again and it never clicked till Tim pointed it out. It's all good..:))))

Latest posts

Back