Chemically stripping anodizing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
???

Fellas - Anyone know how to do this? I'd rather not attack a particular aluminum part with abrasives, but the current anodizing must come off. It's not hard-coat, just regular black anodize on what I am guessing is either 7075 or 6061.

I have a pretty-much full chemistry lab at my disposal, plus power supplies if necessary. Any hints and/or guidance would be appreciated.

Sodium hydroxide will take it off. It will also disolve the part if you're not careful.

Depending on strength of solution, it can take from 30 seconds to an hour.

OK, sodium hydroxide it is, then. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I'm sure cellulose thinners works... ???

Mind its a long time since I tried....But I'm sure I used it take off the black coating on my bike casings which were alloy and supposed to be anodised( English spelling ;D )

Tin Falcon said:
drano crystals

Drano (and other drain cleaners) are sodium hydroxide. I happen to be able to get industrial strength liquid here at work, but almost any off the shelf brand will do. Sodium Hydroxide is commonly called lye. I believe it is also the main ingredient in most oven cleaners.

Take care with this stuff. It will cause burns, and can blind you.

I mixed a 10% NaOH solution and immersed the anodized part in it from a stainless wire. The anodize came off after maybe 4 to 6 minutes. It worked very well. The trick is, one must cease after the anodize is gone, or you will lose virgin aluminum. I stopped when there were still traces of andize, and these were smut and came off with a cloth.

What's left behind is a kind of matte finish.

Professional shops use a chromic acid mix that won't attack aluminum, just the oxide, but chromic acid is hideously toxic and it is not something I'd mess with.

Swede said:
but chromic acid is hideously toxic and it is not something I'd mess with.

You got that right. We're an electroforming shop, and we won't have the stuff in-house. That should give you some idea how nasty it is.

Latest posts

Back