casting quality

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of any problems with them, I did do one of Anthony's engines before Polly produced the castings and there were bits of sand in the gun metal but that was a long time ago.

Most of these engines have been covered in ME or EIM and several in his two books, worth getting if you want to do a specific one. Its also possible to make them from scratch without the castings, if you can say which you fancy I'll probably be able to find a build thread for you. I'm going to do teh Easton & Anderson grasshopper but double up the sizes, should just fit on teh Wm280 ;)

Jason

Cheers for the info Jason, there are 2 or 3 i am looking at so as soon as i narrow it down i will be looking for the threads.

i've just receive the castings of the R&B gas engine
50lbs of cast iron!!!!!
No comment. Just take care that's cast iron and not brass or bronze
So if you never works iron castings, try it!
TheZap

ZAPJACK said:
No comment. Just take care that's cast iron and not brass or bronze
I know these days many people don't like machining cast iron because it's dirty but there is nothing I'd rather work in than cast iron. A good quality cast iron machines and works so well, it's a joy to machine. How many of us, dispite taking every precaution to avoid it, have lost an expensive gunmetal or bronze casting to a dig-in? Cast iron won't do that to you and for that alone I will gladly endure the cleaning up.

Its lovely until you hit a hard chilled spot :mad: then it will take the edge of a HSS milling cutter before you know it. Had half a dozen castings like this on my IHC build a few were saved by heating the rest went in the bin and were fabricated.

Good castings on the other hand are a joy to machine.

Jason

Back