Cadet...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ca-g

Reaction score
It all started when Ashley next door showed me his... Mamod. That would have been in about 1959. I really wanted it, or one just like it. Fast forward about fifty years (I didn't, real time all the way, took ages...) and I am watching Tv, what do I see but a similar engine. Light bulb goes on in my head, and a few weeks later I have a Weeden 14 running nicely in the shed. Have also made a trip to see the nearest operating steam engine, only a mile away and only the oldest operating steam engine in the world. Google the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney Australia.

I work in my shed for a living, you can see what I make here. www.concertina.com.au. I'm not any sort of skilled engineer though, I only know how to make the parts for my own products. A lot of my work is in CNC (Taig mill). I have been reading this site for a while now and have learned a lot which will be handy in my work.

I have a Stuart horizontal casting kit and am thinking of buying a big Bolton No 7, though I won't be starting either just yet. I want know enough to make a good job of the kits. After the kits I want to branch out and make an engine of my own design. Well, it might happen...

I really admire the skill many here have. That big Benson, gorgeous. Also really like Cherry Hill and WM Dubin...

G'day Chris. I have watched my neighbour make several concertinas. Having the patience a craftsmanship to make these beautiful instruments you should have no trouble at all in making your engine kits into works of art.

G'day Chris. I have watched my neighbour make several concertinas. Having the patience a craftsmanship to make these beautiful instruments you should have no trouble at all in making your engine kits into works of art.

Herbie,

This must be Chris V?

Chris

Welcome aboard, Chris. Don't be afraid to show off the things you make for your concertinas!

Hi Chris. Yes you are correct. It is the professor/musical instrument maker Chris V. He now lives in Tasmania. You know him then ?

we do recommend stating with two or three simple air engines from bar stock to get your feet wet.then move up to ICs casting set stirlings whatever.
welcome
Tin

Hi Chris. Yes you are correct. It is the professor/musical instrument maker Chris V. He now lives in Tasmania. You know him then ?

I stayed with him a month ago. I had an email from him today saying he has moved onto his boat as there is a bush fire in the offing. All of his instruments are in a fire proof bunker.

I recently taught him CNC by telephone and he is now running a Taig mill.
A brilliant man and a good friend.

we do recommend stating with two or three simple air engines from bar stock to get your feet wet.then move up to ICs casting set stirlings whatever.
welcome
Tin

Tin,

Thanks for the advice, I'll be creeping up on it nice and slow. I don't want to be ruining any valuable castings. I am trying to get a few things in stock ahead of retiring and will be starting with much simpler things.

Chris

Back