Cable, satellite or ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just been going through some holiday pics from my recent trip.

Across the road from our hotel in Varna,Bulgaria there are some apartment blocks and I noticed this little jumble of wires at the top of a power pole.

Bulgarian%20Wiring_zpsblvy93ms.jpg

There seems to be wires going to every apartment, just strung up outside and going in through an open window.

I have a very good friend that has a summer house just outside St Petersburg in Russia, and to get electricity for free, they just find the nearest power lines and hack in.

I am just wondering if it is the same sort of thing on the outskirts of the city here. Sort of like a free for all.

John

I have a very good friend that has a summer house just outside St Petersburg in Russia, and to get electricity for free, they just find the nearest power lines and hack in.

I am just wondering if it is the same sort of thing on the outskirts of the city here. Sort of like a free for all.

John

Nice to know that your visit went well.

Years ago, 'we' had a problem with the inability of my Spanish Bank to credit my UK payments properly and 'we were cut off'. My villa manager at the time simply ran a cable from an outside socket from a neighbour's swimming pool into our villa.

Again, I was 'prosecuting' for the then local Electricity Board as a sort of poacher cum gamekeeper. Someone had had failed to pay their bill, was cut off and illegally reconnected. There were all sorts of scams going on in the North East of England. Dropping links on meters, stopping meters rotating with plastic flowers from local graveyards, nailing into concentric cable and stopping meters functioning with the dials jammed with tiny rolls of wallpaper. I was getting quite a lot of interesting work in the local Magistrates' Courts. Until my 'Boss' realised that that I was working alone:hDe:

So he kindly gave me a 'a crew' of workmen and I simply witnessed the illegal acts for subsequent prosecutions. This day, I was standing back as a main fuse was opened and suddenly it dawned on me that there was a cable running from a window into the electric ring main. Every point was live with 240volts going through and back to the main fuse box.

That was 35 years ago- in England!

Cheers

Norm

Back