Buying cutter grinder direct from China?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are all I am convinced the same kit as imported by Grizzly, Warco, Chester et all; sometimes a different colour number or name.

I have not personally two friends of mine have. The main problems are that anything over $300 takes a detour via the customs office. They then add anywhere from 60-300% import duty. The shipping costs are horrendous. There is no warranty even if they say there is. Spare parts are generally not available and some machines are not wired to any safety code. The items they got could have been purchased locally for 55% of what they paid. Good luck but do your homework

You really need to do your homework to determine your final landed cost when importing this type of gear, there can be lots of gotchas for the uninitiated.

If you are quoted a price including freight there will still be handling costs at your end. If the item comes in by air (expensive freight) the landing costs tend not to be too great. If it comes in by sea (cheap freight) the landing costs may well be greater than the price of the sea freight, ie bend over and smile. On top of this there will be what if anything customs decide they need to charge you.

FWIW most of the cutter grinders offered are only D-bit grinders.

Back