Butane (lighter gas) mixer for IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Does anyone have drawings or a description of using butane or lighter gas to fuel an internal combustion engine?

Chuck

hi chuck
there was an article in model engineer quite recently on using a demand valve to supply the
gas for running an engine will see if i can dig it out if you want it
regards
peter

hi chuck
there was an article in model engineer quite recently on using a demand valve to supply the
gas for running an engine will see if i can dig it out if you want it
regards
peter

I would like to see it. Happy to try and buy the magazine if you can determine which issue it was in.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
You may have seen the Maier butane fueled model engines at shows. They have a combination fuel metering/air mixing valve on the engine similar to that used on a propane torch. They use fuel pressure to regulate engine speed, and no demand regulator is needed. I have been looking for one of these metering valves that fit directly on the butane tank, but haven't found one in the US. The link below gives a simple explanation of the Maier fuel system. The only safety issue I see is that if the engine stops, the fuel system would continue to deliver fuel until manually turned off.

Jeff

http://maier-mechanic.com/en/technical-background/

Thanks for the links, guys.

I got my vertical single engine to run on Propane using two of my liquid fuel carburetor designs. I just removed the burner tip from my propane torch and connected it to the carburetor with a urethane tube. I had to fiddle with the propane torch control valve and the carb mixer, but I got the engine to run at least as well as it did on liquid fuel. Turns out you really don't need a demand valve as long as you don't leave the engine running unattended. I expect the carb jets and apertures need to be adjusted (enlarged from what I've read). I also ordered a butane adapter valve off ebay which will let me use fuel directly from a camping stove canister.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back