Building Mcgyver's tube bender part 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
Hi gang, I started Mcgyver's tube bender this weekend. Here are some pics to date of the build.

I didn't take step by step pictures. I am just posting a few to show some the steps.

There are several bolts that I made up and I used my 6 sided 5C block to help this along.

P1010273.jpg

This set up allowed me to hold the part so I could drill, ream, counter bore and tap. And the DRO guided me to my hole locations.
P1010270.jpg

P1010268.jpg

I needed to reduce the size of the head on my 10-32 screws so I used a collet set up in the lathe.
P1010272.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the parts laid out.

P1010275.jpg

and here is where I ended up for the weekend. There are still a lot of parts and I hope to finish this up by the end of next weekend so I can at least bend the 1/4" tubing.

P1010277.jpg

Many thanks to Mcgyver!!!

Lookin good!!! Can't wait to see the results. A friend and I built one this summer to bend 1 1/5" DOM tubing for a motorcycle frame.

Wes

Bob, looks great, you're going to show me up on my own project - you'll be making 4 jaws in no time! j/j, its really cool to see someone else making one. since you're crazy enough to actually go ahead i figured I'd better think a little harder about any differences between those plans and the as built. One thing i remember was that the clamp is not right, it needs to be built such that you can either clamp the tubing or fix it to the base independent of each other...the original design didn't have that ability - the screw that fastened to the base also clamped the tube. pm your email - i found a slightly more up to date set of plans that has this modified clamp post.

haha...thanks Mcgyver, you under estimated my lack of sanity.:))))... Wife thinks I'm crazy so maybe there is something to it..:).

Your a tough act to follow my friend....I have admired your work for quit some time now.

PM Sent...

I also wanted to add that I hope I have at least 25 years of building left (54 now) and the time invested in this will more than pay off.:))) I don't intend to build all the dies. Just the ones I need for now. It won't take much time to make the additional dies as they are needed.

Ok gang I got enough parts built so that I can now bend 1/4 tubing to a center line radius of 3/8". This will be enough to get me started as I go along I can add to the dies. This is a rather poor resemblance to Mcyver's very elegantly done bender so please don't whip me to bad....He really did a nice job with all the little details on his.

Here is the bender with the tubing in it.

P1010288.jpg

and here is the bent tube. ;D
P1010290.jpg

This weekend I am going to have to remake the clamp. I tried to get away with using this little block of steel and didn't have enough room to put two clamp screws in it. Of course it leaves a nasty mark in the tubing...one of my many duh moments.

Darn, now you and Mcgyver will have prettier tubing than the rest of us.

How do we keep up?

Nice project!

I want to try one of those tangential cutters myself some time.

Cheers,

BW

hey that looks great, nice clean bend! way to go Bob

Mcgyver said:
hey that looks great, nice clean bend! way to go Bob

Thanks Mike you did a great job designing it. I need to build a rack for all the dies as I build them so I don't loose them in the shop some place like I did my 3/8 5c collet today...ugh..I looked for that dang thing on an off for over and hour...then gave up and went to sit back down in front of the laptop and sat on it...haha...go figure.

Thanks again for a great project.

BobWarfield said:
Darn, now you and Mcgyver will have prettier tubing than the rest of us.

How do we keep up?

Nice project!

I want to try one of those tangential cutters myself some time.

Cheers,

BW

Bob my shoulder surgery I had last January didn't come out to well and it's really getting sore from using the draw bar on the mill....so a soon to be project will be like your power draw bar set up. After a day in the shop using the mill much I have a fire in my right shoulder that lasts for days.....nuff of my whinning.... ;D

Anyway I don't think it ever ends....at least I hope it doesn't....:)_

Powered drawbars are awesome: highly recommended project!

Of course, it never ends. You get a powered drawbar, and you decide you need to plumb the shop for air instead of dragging the hose over so you don't have to keep fooling with the hose. Then you notice how loud your compressor is when its on all the time.

Like any good hobby, you are never done: I love it!

Best,

BW

Latest posts

Back