building a lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not quite the major project that the title may suggest. Having become partially disabled due to a stroke in 2002, my mechanicking projects have become smaller and lighter, nowadays mainly restoring model steam engines. I persuaded my wife to buy me a small model-maker's lathe as a Christmas present which needs mounting and a motor connecting to it. I recently purchased a "rescued" treadmill motor. This is not too large is a dc permanent magnet motor rated at 4000 rpm at 180volts dc and 4 amps max current (which, very approximately equates to an input powe of nearly 1 hp, thus probably about 3/4 hp at the output shaft. I am planning to make a "dexion" frame to mount this on, at a height suitable for working on from a seated position. I have chosen pulleys which will give a lathe speed of about 3100 rpm with the motor at 4000 rpm and I am building an electronic speed controller (I am a retired electronics engineer, so that is the easy part for me). The difficult part is working out where to put everything such that is readily accesible, to make electrical connections and mechanical fixings. The whole assembly will probably be clad with mdf, creating storage space for associated tools, etc. Hopefully it will be completed before this Christmas!

Well, if you post some pics of where you are now, we may be able to make suggestions, some of which might be helpful in intent, or even in practice.
Hi Charles. Not much to post pics of. Only things which I can't change, ie motor and basic lathe assembly, plus the immediate intentions have been pretty much defined by necessity, cost and restricted accessibility. The one variable kicking around is based on my need to be seated whilst working on the lathe (I am unable to stand for more than a few minutes). Thus I am considering building the "cabinet" along the lines of a pedestal desk, with the electrical gubbins in one pedestal. The other being a storage cupboard for lathe tools.
Peter

Consider building a bench for your lathe using an industrial sewing machine table. They are plenty strong and your seated position with legs under the table might be ideal for a small lathe. These tables are usually free as well if you watch for them.

Just a thought for your consideration and the table comes with a motor mount. You would only need to make a jack shaft and connect some belts.

Back